I was out staring at the birds today, as usual, and I happened to catch Eddie (my namesake) laying an egg!!! There are 2 videos in the album, one is the whole ordeal for those who may be curious to see her behavior leading up to the laying, scratching about and nestling in, and the 2nd is a trimmed version with only the juicy details (pun intended). It was really interesting watching her scratch around to get comfortable and fluffing her feathers, seeing her breathing change, and watching the other birds milling around her. They seemed really curious (or maybe protective of her?) I don't really understand the behavioral signals. The whole process was a little over 5 minutes. And usually I hear the egg songs from afar or on the security camera, but hearing it up close today and in real time was so cool! Plus I figured out that Eddie is the one laying the really pretty caramel-colored eggs ❤️ Neat!

I was out staring at the birds today, as usual, and I happened to catch Eddie (my namesake) laying an egg!!! There are 2 videos in the album, one is the whole ordeal for those who may be curious to see her behavior leading up to the laying, scratching about and nestling in, and the 2nd is a trimmed version with only the juicy details (pun intended). It was really interesting watching her scratch around to get comfortable and fluffing her feathers, seeing her breathing change, and watching the other birds milling around her. They seemed really curious (or maybe protective of her?) I don't really understand the behavioral signals. The whole process was a little over 5 minutes. And usually I hear the egg songs from afar or on the security camera, but hearing it up close today and in real time was so cool! Plus I figured out that Eddie is the one laying the really pretty caramel-colored eggs ❤️ Neat!

What a cool thing to catch! I love knowing which hen laid which egg, and the more you look, the more you see how each is unique. You can really see how the layers of shell were put down, like a painting or candle making. Those look like healthy, cozy birds. Love it!

What a cool thing to catch! I love knowing which hen laid which egg, and the more you look, the more you see how each is unique. You can really see how the layers of shell were put down, like a painting or candle making. Those look like healthy, cozy birds. Love it!

Thanks! I hope they're happy 💕 I need to take an updated photo of the structure in the daylight tomorrow, I realize I never posted a new photo in this thread since adding the extra siding, replacing the tarp with shade cloth, and installing the waterer. I also mixed the substrate today and added a new layer of mulch, burying the hay for the time being, so it looks extra nice right now 😂

I did just notice what looks like a small scratch on Jenny's (the falb fee) leg as she turns and walks away at the end of the video, though, so I will need to go check that out tomorrow 🧐 I also didn't realize Imgur clips videos at 1 minute, the first video was meant to be 2:31, oh well. You just missed more scratching, fluffing, and spinning 😅

This is the current state of things. Once we can get the real roof added, paint/cover the siding, finish building the nest box, and get the vine growing on the wall nearest the door it will be done! Well, until I decide what the next iteration will be, that is 😅 (the powder sprinkled around is First Saturday Lime, to deter insects from the Quaviary and my plants).
View attachment 3517485
That is amazing, of you want ideas I'd suggest making the nest boxes very big with lots of pine needles and bits of hay. They might actually go broody. I have a broody hen who made her nest out of dead vines and bit of hay! She's a jumbo!

That is amazing, of you want ideas I'd suggest making the nest boxes very big with lots of pine needles and bits of hay. They might actually go broody. I have a broody hen who made her nest out of dead vines and bit of hay! She's a jumbo!

Thanks for the tip about pine needles! But I don’t have a rooster or any eggs to hatch, so I’d rather they didn’t go broody at the moment to be honest! The aviary has changed a lot in the last few weeks, I haven’t had a chance to update since I’ve been caring for a sick family member, but I can’t wait to show everyone how big the vines are getting and all the new hideouts and logs they have in there. It’s been so much fun iterating and decorating it.

Thanks for the tip about pine needles! But I don’t have a rooster or any eggs to hatch, so I’d rather they didn’t go broody at the moment to be honest! The aviary has changed a lot in the last few weeks, I haven’t had a chance to update since I’ve been caring for a sick family member, but I can’t wait to show everyone how big the vines are getting and all the new hideouts and logs they have in there. It’s been so much fun iterating and decorating it.
Sorry to hear about your sick family member😔 I have a huge aviary and it has lots of vines. They actually grew threw the ceiling and my budgies love swinging on it. They Aldo started blooming and the bees were all over them. I had some good sales, I breed and sell locally. That includes Coturnix quail and next summer I will breed my California quail! I'm so excited to see your aviary's vines!

Back
Top Bottom