New layer started laying and then stopped

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by aharriso, Aug 19, 2016.

1. aharriso

aharriso Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    Hello,

I have 3 new additions to my flock (Ameraucana, Delaware, and Dominique). Hatched on Feb 29 this year. My Ameraucana started laying first at the end of July. I thought it was early - right before she was 5 months old. The other 2 started laying about a week later. They have been laying for about 3 weeks now. But last Friday (Aug 12) the Ameraucana stopped laying. I can tell because I was getting a blue green egg from her just about every day. I am now only getting 2 a day from the other 2 hens. I am completely baffled (and disappointed because I loved those blue green eggs). It has been a week now and no sign of a blue green egg. She is not going near the egg box - it's almost like she lost interest :).

The Ameraucana is quite healthy, alert, eating and drinking. She is my alpha hen between the 3 of them. I have 3 other older hens (5 years old) but I keep them separated unless they are free ranging.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Any possibility that she has a hidden nest in your yard?

3. aharriso

aharriso Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    Yeah, I thought about that and did search around but for several of the last few days this week I didn't let her out of the run....and still no egg. It is really baffling to me.

4. eleaserek

eleaserek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    Billings, MT
    Last summer I had an Easter egger that did the same thing to me. She would lay really well for a couple weeks, then take a week or so off. She's still a sporadic layer at almost a year and a half, but it's more like a couple days off here and there rather than the weeks it used to be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by