New layer stopped laying. Normal or concern?

AlyssaB4

In the Brooder
Jun 14, 2021
My mallard hen is 7 1/2 months old now. She started laying for the first time on Christmas Eve morning. She laid everyday for 9 days (later in the day the last two days), and then stopped. I know it’s normal for the time and days she lays to fluctuate while her body gets used to a cycle, and mallards don’t lay every day usually anyways. But now it’s been a month (almost) and she hasn’t laid at all. She isn’t looking to lay at all, no straining, nothing else abnormal for her. Not sure if she liked us taking the eggs away either, in case that’s a thing. Is this normal or cause for concern? Do new layers sometimes stop for long periods before starting again?

My mallards are almost a year old now. They haven't laid in a few months thanks to winter and lack of daylight. They didn't lay every day when they were laying either. I have a mixed flock and all my other ducks lay in the coop or pen. The mallard ladies would "hold it" if they could and fly off to a lovely hiding spot in nature and lay there... it was an easter egg hunt. So if your mallard IS still laying maybe she's hiding the eggs. Otherwise maybe she's taking a break?

My mallards are almost a year old now. They haven't laid in a few months thanks to winter and lack of daylight. They didn't lay every day when they were laying either. I have a mixed flock and all my other ducks lay in the coop or pen. The mallard ladies would "hold it" if they could and fly off to a lovely hiding spot in nature and lay there... it was an easter egg hunt. So if your mallard IS still laying maybe she's hiding the eggs. Otherwise maybe she's taking a break?
Yes, The first two days she used her nesting box. Then the rest she would hold until about 11 am and find somewhere in the yard to lay when i would leave for second. But now there hasn’t been any eggs anywhere, and she isn’t looking for a spot like then. And for the rest of the day they are in a run until the evening, and no eggs there. I figured she was just adjusting and her body was taking a break for whatever reason. Or maybe for some reason she started laying early and then now is waiting until their “breeding season” starts around mid February? I just haven’t been able to find much info on if long breaks like this can be part of the normal adjustment time for new layers or if it could be a concern like internal laying, etc.

Mallards are seasonal like Muscovy. My Muscovy lay until they have enough eggs to go broody. They then brood hatch and raise and start back laying about a month after they raise their brood and the cycle usually starts all over until mid-fall when they start to molt and stop laying for the year. If your Mallard laid 9 eggs that was her clutch. She should start back anytime especially since days are getting longer again. With mine I take up eggs daily but it doesn't seem to matter it all has to do with hormones. They will go broody on nothing. If you'd have left those eggs in her nest she'd may have gone broody.

Mallards are seasonal like Muscovy. My Muscovy lay until they have enough eggs to go broody. They then brood hatch and raise and start back laying about a month after they raise their brood and the cycle usually starts all over until mid-fall when they start to molt and stop laying for the year. If your Mallard laid 9 eggs that was her clutch. She should start back anytime especially since days are getting longer again. With mine I take up eggs daily but it doesn't seem to matter it all has to do with hormones. They will go broody on nothing. If you'd have left those eggs in her nest she'd may have gone broody.
Ok this is good to hear. I had assumed they go broody only if the eggs are left there and then stop laying once they have their clutch. So it’s good to know now that I can expect her to probably stop and go like this until the season is done. That’s a relief 😅 thank you!

I don't have Mallards but I know from experience with Muscovy and chickens that once the broody hormone hits it doesn't matter if there are eggs in the nest.
Hopefully she'll start back laying soon. Longer days usually set them up for laying.

Back
Top Bottom