new layer with strange egg coloration, nutrition advice please

lv9777

Songster
Aug 29, 2021
Michigan
I have two black cochins that are about ten months old and have just started laying in the last 3 weeks. They are now laying regularly more than I thought they were supposed to (5-6 eggs per week) but the last few days I have received several strangely pigmented eggs. One end of the shell is darker than the rest and it has rough patches. I know that the rough patches can be calcium related, but I have available oyster shells and they free range a bit. The other hens lay in a different box and this eggs are fine. I feed Purina 16% layer pellets and small amounts of left over fruits and vegetables. Is this normal in the beginning? Should I add more calcium to the daily treats?

I could not resist adding a pic of the new girls :)

Attachments

• egg.JPG
    egg.JPG
    188.1 KB · Views: 10
  • maggie and mable.JPG
    maggie and mable.JPG
    921.5 KB · Views: 6
Diet would not change your hair color, and it won't change an egg shell color. That is a genetic disposition.

The water might...but I don't think so. We are rather used to perfect store bought eggs, and tend to think every egg is perfectly normal and looks like store bought eggs, but in reality they don't, they are sorted. Professional egg producers get weird eggs too, they just sell to a different market than table use.

Diet will change the color of the yolk, but not the egg shell, a lot of eggs are a bit less than perfect, especially this time of year. I would not worry about this, as it will clear itself up on its own, usually in a few days if you do nothing.

Mrs K

Often new layers have glitches in the system that work out over time.

I have one hen who routinely lays eggs with calcium deposits on the shell. It is an individual trait and I can't do anything about it except to not hatch any of her eggs so as not to perpetuate the quality problem in my flock.

Back
Top Bottom