New LG won't hold temp steady

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by columbiacritter, Feb 17, 2011.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I plugged in our brand new Little Giant bator last night to set it up as a hatcher but the darned thing is being really hard to get the temp to settle down. I can get it 5 dregrees to low or high, but not right on. The control nob seems incredibly sensitive. Is this normal for this brand of bator?

2. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Yes, it is normal. It take a bit of getting used to the knob. As long as your room temp stays in the right range you should get it right soon. Good luck!

3. Inkheart

Inkheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Yes it is a bit touchy - it will take some time but you will get it jsut right

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

When you adjust it, just bump it. If the power light changes you moved it a lot. You can also glue a big knob on the small one to help.

5. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    Someone on here just posted a pic of using a milk cap to make the knob bigger, I dont know where the post is though! I used mosqito forceps to adjust mine just the slightest. Temp held steady the full 21 days!

6. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    Quote:Thanks! I actually just went back to find that link.

7. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Clamp one of these on the existing skinny little adjustment knob. It'll give you control of those micro-adjustments. It's a shame the LG folks won't add a decent 29¢ knob for this problem [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    Mine won't either! Its soooo annoying! It keeps on spiking and theres nuttin I can doooo!

9. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    Another thing... when getting your temp stable put something in there to take up space and absorb heat. That will have an impact on your setting too. I don't know if this is true with all bators but it is true with my LG. I have a spot check thermometer too to check the temp and have one corner that is 2 - 3 degrees cooler than the other three. The corner with the motor for the turner is also almost a degree warmer cause it also puts off heat. Mine is also forced air. One day I will have a sportsman so I will have less babysitting to do.

Also... during lockdown the water channels in the bottom are never enough to get the humidity up enough. I put in three sponges on the wire floor of mine during lockdown and put water on them using a syringe and aquarium air hose through a vent hole to adjust the humidity as needed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by