new low budget coop

stonykill

Crowing
9 Years
Sep 16, 2010
Canaan Ny
sorry for the terrible pic, my camera is acting up. Here is my newest coop, mainly from salvaged/recycled material. It holds 8 Sumatra's at the moment. I'm hoping in the spring, these girls will go broody, and add to their little flock!

IMGP1295-1.jpg

IMGP1296-1.jpg

nniiccee! way to go using reclaimed materials!

you might want to go with brick or cinderblock on your retaining wall instead of plywood.It will get soggy after winter and fail. Also so no boogiecreatures can claw and chew thru it,tunnel under and MMMWWWAHAHAHAHA!!

It looks great! Make sure you close the coop door and lock it every night. Chicken wire will not keep the predators out. Raccoons, dogs, and other medium to large animal can rip right through the wire.

Quote:
Sumatra's are small birds. The hens weighing 4 lbs full grown, the roo's 6lbs at most. And once breeding time for these occurs, there will only be 1 roo in with them. But there is plenty of room. The coop is 5 feet wide, 3 feet deep, and almost 5 feet high at it's highest point. Lots of room!

Quote:
thats in the plan. I had to get them moved in yesterday. I'm currently scrounging for block and brick......

also what you can't see in the pic is the wire fence goes onto the ground and continues for about a foot at ground level. That is all going to get covered with rock and such after the blocks.....

Last edited:
Quote:
of course. I have over 80 chickens, so I know the drill

Your very lucky! I could only bring home 8. Hubby is not going to be happy when I breed my frizzle with the neighbors BR roo. We are planning on keeping the chicks. He says I've gone overboard with only 8.
hmm.png

Quote:
of course. I have over 80 chickens, so I know the drill

Your very lucky! I could only bring home 8. Hubby is not going to be happy when I breed my frizzle with the neighbors BR roo. We are planning on keeping the chicks. He says I've gone overboard with only 8.
hmm.png

over 50 of them are new this year. Around 20 that I incubated, including these 8, 11 I purchased, and the remaining 20 plus are from broody Sumatra hens. Plus I sold about a dozen. Sumatra's are crazy about going broody!

Back
Top Bottom