New MA member needs a chicken vet!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by socialchicken, Feb 28, 2014.

1. socialchicken

socialchicken New Egg

Feb 24, 2014
    Hi All. We live in the Natick area and have a hen with prolapse. We would like to see if we can save her, though cost is a consideration. Anyone know of a good chicken Vet? I also work in Worcester, so could head easily in that direction, too. Many thanks in advance!

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

You might want to chat with others in your area and see if an avian vet is nearby...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/50058/byc-members-in-massachusetts

But for now, bring her inside where it is warm. You don't want her outside with the others where they can pick at her and hurt or kill her. Try to push the entire thing back in. Get some Preparation H and rub it on the area. This will help to bring down the swelling to help keep it back inside. Keep putting it back in if it comes out. Keep using the Prep H. Keep her in a very small cage so she doesn't move around a lot. Keep her in low light and only give her about 8 hours a day of light. This will keep her form laying until she heals.

You can also post this in the emergency section here on BYC for more tips...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

In the future, make sure your birds always have access to oystershell, have plenty of water and eat their layer feed for lots of calcium.

Good luck with your baby and I hope you can get her back to good health.

2 people like this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I hope 2 crows excellent advice will help your hen.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Utilize the resources suggested by Two Crows, and good luck.

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I responded to your post on the MA thread about the avian vet in Littleton. I assumed you were dealing with something respiratory, not a prolapse. TwoCrows has excellent advice. Attempt to push everything back in then keep her confined and on low light. Call the vet's number if you have any problems or concerns. Good luck.

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your hen.

7. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

Well you have it Two Crows has about the best idea ... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by