New Magpie Thread!!!!

I do, but I want pure magpie. I have a swedish, buff, and mallard drakes with the magpie being the only hen. I got 7 assorted ducklings: 2 buffs, 1 blue swedish, 1 cayuga, 1 mallard, 1 black indian runner and a pekin. Without a magpie drake I might have to wait for the pekin to grow and mate with my magpie hen to see if it gives any ducklings close to having magpie markings.

This place is selling pure magpies, if you are OK with shipped eggs.

There must be very few people keeping Magpies here on BYC. Too bad, too. A small community of breeders working together can do wonders for a breed, too. On the Araucana thread, most of the community work together to improve that difficult and hard to find breed. At least Magpie ducks don't have a lethal gene to work with, hah!

I am considering adding Magpies to our little flock of Welsh Harlequins (and soon Saxony ducks as well), why should I choose them over Ancona's? (I can't decide :) )

The personality of the magpies is soo much nicer than the Anconas. Plus the neat and specific coloring is so amazing and a challenge to breed for and even if your not breeding for color pet qualities have similar markings but their imperfections make them their own duck with distinctive flecks and patch sizes. Mine are the best ducks I have! They actually listed to me!!! Mine come when I call and always go into their own separate bed at night without making me chase them! And they are not aggressive or mean, if my male gets frustrated and upset at some ducklings(they always seem to run around him and often run unto him, and crowd him) he stares at them and shakes because he wants to bite them to get them away and to stop bugging him but he knows not to! Soo funny and amazing personality. Each one is a bit different and all are complete characters. Enjoyable to own, fun to breed, and entertaining to watch!

FarmGirl, thanks for the information. How long have you had your Magpies? What colors do you have? Do magpies come in chocolate (I have seen black and blue, but that is it)?

I have had my magpies for well over 5 years. Gosh maybe more like 7!!!! I can't even remember! I only have blacks but i will be adding blues to my collection too!! There are chocolates I beleive. I think there are 4 colours if I am correct, black, blue, silver and chocolate. Chocolate are a lot more rare! So are silvers!

Brand new to this site...not sure if I'm posting in the wrong spot but as of tomorrow it will be 3 weeks that I've had to muscovy ducklings.....I'm dying for some opinions on their sex? Boy or girl zzz. I think from what I read I have to little men! Would love another opinion. I have no idea when they hatched but I would guess they are 5 weeks maybe,,,

I am in Michigan and just so happen to not only have a pair of call ducks, but also three out of seven babies left. I am selling two, keeping one. I will have my friend help me to resex if she has a chance. I'm thinking it is one male and two females. Asking $20 each.

Back
Top Bottom