New Mama Cayuga

Michelin

Chirping
Feb 7, 2021
Hello everyone,
We have a one year old Cayuga duck who went broody, so we got some fertilized eggs from a friend and they started hatching in the night (after 36 days!! They are golden 300 eggs, but 2nd generation) but when we went out this morning two were out of the nest, dead. (Feels like bad timing, we're having a cold front right now! Last week was 90s and this week it's 60s and 70s). Two were alive under mama, but then our other duck got too close and she tried to chase it away, knocking the babies and a couple other eggs out of the nest in the process. One is fine, but I think one died. Then another one hatched and she pushed/tucked it under her. So we are at 5 hatched, with 2 surviving. There are 9 more eggs. We took the other duck out, but I'm still worried about whether I should leave the babies with mama and pray she's a good mama, or if I should take them out and set up a brooder. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
We have a one year old Cayuga duck who went broody, so we got some fertilized eggs from a friend and they started hatching in the night (after 36 days!! They are golden 300 eggs, but 2nd generation) but when we went out this morning two were out of the nest, dead. (Feels like bad timing, we're having a cold front right now! Last week was 90s and this week it's 60s and 70s). Two were alive under mama, but then our other duck got too close and she tried to chase it away, knocking the babies and a couple other eggs out of the nest in the process. One is fine, but I think one died. Then another one hatched and she pushed/tucked it under her. So we are at 5 hatched, with 2 surviving. There are 7 more eggs. We took the other duck out, but I'm still worried about whether I should leave the babies with mama and pray she's a good mama, or if I should take them out and set up a brooder. Any thoughts?
If ducklings are already dying I would move any new ones to a brooder.

It could be the other duck caused it by getting to close and mama tried to run her off. Ducklings get trampled in the process. If she isn't making the others get out from under her and is sitting tight they maybe okay just keep a close watch on how she is acting. My broodies do not like any other ducks around them once hatching begins. You should fix an area just for mama and ducklings for a few weeks. But where everyone can still see each other

It could be the other duck caused it by getting to close and mama tried to run her off. Ducklings get trampled in the process. If she isn't making the others get out from under her and is sitting tight they maybe okay just keep a close watch on how she is acting. My broodies do not like any other ducks around them once hatching begins. You should fix an area just for mama and ducklings for a few weeks. But where everyone can still see each other
I think you are right. We took the other duck out (will put up a temporary fence later, for now she's in our fenced garden. They used to Free range but we just got a puppy...) and so far the two ducklings are doing doing well and staying under mama. No more have hatched. We just did the float test and of the 9 remaining eggs (none pipped), 5 sank and 4 floated.

That's good all is calm now. Hopefully mama and ducklings will have a few weeks to seal their bond and when they are finally put out with everyone the flock will accept them. Be sure ducklings can't slip through fencing and end up a play toy for new pup.

That's good all is calm now. Hopefully mama and ducklings will have a few weeks to seal their bond and when they are finally put out with everyone the flock will accept them. Be sure ducklings can't slip through fencing and end up a play toy for new pup.
Right yes. The rest of the flock is just one other duck, we were down to only 2 hens. :)

That's a good point about the fence and the puppy. If they can make it through today and the night I'll be able to get into town tomorrow and get some fencing that I can use to divide but also go around the inside.

Thank you!

Just watching Mama duck. It's like she keeps trying to sit on the remaining eggs, but then the babies are running all over so she keeps standing up to take care of them. Thinking maybe I should pull the eggs and put them in a makeshift incubator...? Ort maybe it's too late, the eggs didn't feel very warm just now. I'll try anyway I think.

I candled the remaining eggs and three looked like they stopped developing awhile ago, and the 4th looked full term but no movement. Maybe just got too cold? But I’m a lot more comfortable candling now (for some reason it sounded very complicated to me before this), so next time I will use that tool more. I think I’ve learned so much for next time.

But our mama duck is doing great caring for her two ducklings, she is very protective of them. Maybe it is good for her only to have 2 to look after this first time. They are adorable!

Thanks for your help, and thanks for checking in! :)

I would take ducklings out
If ducklings are already dying I would move any new ones to a brooder.
and get them a brooder before any more accidents happen. After every egg is hatched let the ducklings dry off and take them under a heat lamp

if you want to risk it you could keel them with her
It’s you choice! I hope the best!

Back
Top Bottom