New meat chicken coop

Carymcmillin

Chirping
Jul 11, 2020
Michigan
I am looking at building a new meat chicken coup. I do not have enough space for a tractor, so I will need something that can be cleaned. What is your opinion on type of floor. My old coup has a built up floor with linoleum. I will be removing the linoleum if I don't build a new voup. It causes a slipping issue that causes the chickens leg issues. Any comments are welcome.
Thanks

I am looking at building a new meat chicken coup. I do not have enough space for a tractor, so I will need something that can be cleaned. What is your opinion on type of floor. My old coup has a built up floor with linoleum. I will be removing the linoleum if I don't build a new voup. It causes a slipping issue that causes the chickens leg issues. Any comments are welcome.
Thanks
How many chickens will there be, I would do a floor that can slide out so the manure and debris just slides out with it, Plywood would work perfectly for the floor, it isn't slippery, and easy to clean. This could work just without the nesting boxes build it lifted so you can put the sliding floor make it predator proof though.
1648993445200.png

I will be removing the linoleum if I don't build a new voup. It causes a slipping issue that causes the chickens leg issues. Any comments are welcome.
I have a vinyl floor, for 9 year now, covered with a few inches of large flake pine shavings.
Yeah, they can slip and slide at times but it hasn't caused any leg issues.

Oops, just realized you have meaties....I have layers.

For broilers you just need enough square footage as to not crowd them as they grow. And they will grow, FAST.. big, heavy, awkward birds just need feed and water and protection from elements and animals.. not really a coop, just an enclosure.. 2 ft tall is fine.

Thanks
My first meat bird pen was a 10’x10’x24”wood frame with hinged lid the whole enclosure was just 2ft tall, open lid/top, fill feeder and waterer, rake poop and shavings to the side and scoop out with a shovel, add more bedding.. shavings or straw and repeat every other day.. they don’t roost, they don’t do the typical “chicken things” very minimal set up is all that’s needed.. and it worked great..

My first meat bird pen was a 10’x10’x24”wood frame with hinged lid the whole enclosure was just 2ft tall, open lid/top, fill feeder and waterer, rake poop and shavings to the side and scoop out with a shovel, add more bedding.. shavings or straw and repeat every other day.. they don’t roost, they don’t do the typical “chicken things” very minimal set up is all that’s needed.. and it worked great..
Did you have to heat coup? I live in Michigan and try to raise birds in May to process in June. That requires me to provide heat for the first few weeks.

Did you have to heat coup? I live in Michigan and try to raise birds in May to process in June. That requires me to provide heat for the first few weeks.
No.. I have no heat for any outside animals.. I’m in NE Texas.. I will put a tarp around the north side of my coops or tractors if it gets below 28°-30° or so.. just to block the north wind.. they are all open air coops, no structure or actual coop/building. They do fine and have for years. But I’m much milder winter than you

Back
Top Bottom