New Mem questions I need help with ...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mcf10101, Jan 2, 2017.

1. mcf10101

mcf10101 New Egg

Jan 2, 2017
    Hi Everyone,

I have been reading Backyard Chickens for a few years now and today (the start of 2017) decided to become a member.

I am impressed with all the assistance everyone contributes and I hope I can do the same.

My immediate emergency QUESTION below - please ADVISE .........................

I am trying to hatch out some Pekin ducklings. They have been in the incubator for 15 days and all look healthy upon candling.

THE PROBLEM

ALL of the eggs seem to have the air sac on the narrower side.
    They have been in the incubator narrow side down for the 15 days but I think I should put them with the air sac on the top -- which would mean narrow side up (opposite of what all websites advise).

One other factor --- the duck eggs are now really pointy or very narrow at one end -- same are hard to tell which is narrower side.

???????So again my question is should I put them in the incubator cradle with the air sac on the top side?????????

Please help as I am so concerned that these ducklings will develop and then die of suffication before hatching out.

Thank you for your help,
    MC

2. IdyllwildAcres

IdyllwildAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

I know nothing, except that you should post this in the emergency thread... Or a hatching thread

[​IMG]

Gary from Idyllwild Ca here

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under mcf10101 [​IMG] Welcome!

Sorry that I am not able to assist with your hatching question either but if you post your question on one of the following, I am sure you will find someone willing to help.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. As you mention there are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] I don't know much about incubation and even less about ducks. I think your questions would best be answered by folks on the 'duck thread'. Just put that in the search box and it will come up.

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, MC, and :welcome! Great to have you aboard! :cd

7. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hope you find the answer you need on the duck or incubating forum. Good luck with your hatch, there's nothing much cuter than ducklings!

8. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    [​IMG]

9. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    Hello and :welcome! I hope you enjoy BYC just as much as the rest of us do! I hope you find the answer you need about your eggs! I would help, but I'm clueless about all things incubation. :oops: Best of luck! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by