New Member and a question

Welcome to BYC. I have two concerns. First is that the dove may be ill and contagious to your chickens. The second is that they very likely would kill it. Rehabilitation in a cage/crate and release might be a good option.
Thank you. That was one of my concerns with it being a wild dove. I think I am just going to call a bird rehabber. I have been in contact with one that was referred to me and I am just waiting for a call back.

Welcome to BYC! Sounds like you have a nice flock! I hope you enjoy the website.

As far as the dove goes, I agree with sourland. Try to rehabilitate the bird in a cage or crate, away from the chickens. If you have a garage or a shed with a window, those would be good places.

If the bird recovers, it would be a good idea to try and determine exactly what the dove is-- is it a wild Eurasian collared dove, or is it a ring neck dove that has escaped or been released from captivity? If it is the former, release is best, if the latter, it will likely die quickly in the wild.

Best of luck! Hope the dove makes it.
Thanks, I am happy to be a part of the group!! I am about to go check on the dove. I have it in my barn so it is not out in the elements. It got real cold here last night. I know that it is a ringneck dove. It does not try to bite or anything, so it makes me wonder if this was someone's pet that either got away or they let go. It is definitely injured but I can't tell where. I have called a bird rescue group and hopefully I can get it there today. I hope she makes it too.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens!:welcome We are glad you joined the flock! BYC is a helpful site providing all of the information you need to know about poultry! There is always space for more members on the BYC roost!:highfive: Not all chickens bother small birds such as quail or doves but yet others do. I have a breeding pen containing 1 rooster and 4 pullets and they get along great with the chickadees who fly in and eat with them. There is biosecurity risk that you take though. As for me, I find it very difficult to prevent birds flying in my pen. Anyway, hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

UPDATE!!!
I just went to check on the injured dove that I found and I took the top off of her container and she went FLYING off!! I guess she must have just run into something and maybe it knocked her senseless!! So happy that my little dove made it overnight and happily flew away this morning!! :ya:love:wee

UPDATE!!!
I just went to check on the injured dove that I found and I took the top off of her container and she went FLYING off!! I guess she must have just run into something and maybe it knocked her senseless!! So happy that my little dove made it overnight and happily flew away this morning!! :ya:love:wee

Good news!

UPDATE!!!
That certainly makes your decision much easier!

Back
Top Bottom