New member and first-time chicken raiser!

cajunater

Hatching
Dec 26, 2015
Good morning! My name is Gerry, and as the title suggests, this is all new to me. I live in Southern Louisiana, for starters. My neighbor has been raising 5 chickens since early March of this year (Golden Sex Links or Comets). I've been enjoying sitting on my back porch in the mornings, listening to the "chicken talk" while reading my newspaper! Well, the day before Christmas, he calls me to say they are going to be moving to California due to work and can't take the chickens. He offers me the hens, coop, and feed he has left! I jumped on the offer! Spent that day trying to "chicken-proof" the back yard, and got everything from him that evening. I'm not asking for anything specific at this point, just introducing myself. As I learn enough to ask decent questions, believe me, y'all will be hearing from me! But for now, I wish y'all a Happy New Year! Thanks for listening.

Welcome to BYC, Gerry. Glad you decided to join our flock. Wow! You got a really great deal from your neighbor. :eek:) If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Happy New Year to you as well.

Hi Gerry, welcome to BYC!

How old are the red sex link girls you got from your neighbor? Those girls are egg laying machines once they get going! I hope you enjoy yours as much as we enjoy ours (we have 3 plus some other breeds).

Feel free to ask questions, everyone was new at some point.

Thanks for joining us!

Hi Gerry
welcome-byc.gif
Congrats with all of your new chickens!

Have a "newbie" question: At what temperature should I set up a heat lamp for my hens? Was in the 80's yesterday, 60's today, forecast to reach 44 tonight in South Louisiana. TIA.

Welcome, Gerry! You certainly got the better end of that deal! You don't need a heat lamp for them. They are young pullets, not tiny chicks, and they do far better in cold weather than they do in hot. And with your temperatures, they'll be perfectly fine. I live in Northern Wyoming. It was - 1 yesterday when I got up. My chickens live in an un-insulated, unheated coop and they don't show any signs of stress or distress. I even brood chicks outdoors in the run, even with temps in the teens and twenties, with nothing more than a heating pad and a straw cave.

So relax, enjoy your new chickens, and getting familiar with BYC and its zany and always helpful folks!

Back
Top Bottom