New Member (and new to chickens altogether) in Albany, NY

E-I-E-I-Bro

Hatching
Nov 18, 2016
Albany, NY, USA
Hi There - I just recently came into possession of 6 chickens from a friend who was moving and had to say goodbye to his 6 6-month old hens ... so in the last two weeks, I've read everything I can get my hands on, ordered and assembled a coop, and moved the chickens in today.

I'm definitely new to this whole thing - by day, I'm a shirt-and-tie kind of guy who's a weekend warrior on the physical fitness front. Into hiking, working out, running and yoga (and now chickens, apparently). I'm married to a pretty awesome guy who's being dragged into this new endeavor ... but our teenage son is super psyched.

The chickens are currently settling into their coop & run; there're 30 square feet of outdoor run space and about 12 square feet of coop space. From what I've read, that should be sufficient. However, it doesn't give them much room to run around, and since I also want some area where we can interact with them, there're already plans to build a fenced in area beyond the run where they can go when supervised (the whole run is predator proofed, but I don't think I have it in me to predator proof a whole additional yard area before the weather turns).

I'm sure I will have tons of questions, but things are looking good so far ... after a 3 hour car ride home, one of them laid her first egg here within 4 hours of arriving. I doubt that'll continue as they get adjusted, but was still pretty cool.

Thanks for this site - it's been a HUGE help so far.

E-I-E-I-Bro !

Hi and welcome to BYC! Thanks for joining us!
smile.png

G’Day from down under E-I-E-I Bro
frow.gif
Welcome to BYC!

You are right that your girls may not lay for a little while now, just while they adjust to their new surroundings. Also, you did not mention where you were located but guessing by “before the weather turns” you may be in the States where I believe the egg laying is due to slow down for a while due to shorter daylight hours.

We are just at the start of another hot and humid summer.

Anyways, I hope you have a wonderful time getting to know your gals and their individual chickenalities; they are so much fun to have around and guaranteed to make you smile or chuckle on a daily basis.

welcome-byc.gif

It sounds like the chickens are finding their way into everyone's heart...they are such amazing little animals and very entertaining.

Good luck with your plans and have fun!

Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you joined us, I do hope you will make yourself at home here. Enjoy BYC!

Back
Top Bottom