New member and questions

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by acomeau13, Sep 14, 2015.

1. acomeau13

acomeau13 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2015
    Massachusetts
    Hey everyone! I'm new to the chicken world. I joined this group looking for more information about chickens and just hearing other people's stories. I have 4 barred rocks, 2 rhode island reds, 1 golden, and 1 silver wyandottes. I got them as chics on April 29th so I'm guessing they are around 21 weeks. Just curious on when they will start laying. A lot of people say around 20-24 weeks but can start at 18 weeks. Let me know all your feed back. I'm very excited for my first eggs! Hope you all have a fantastic day![​IMG]

2. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    [​IMG] This time of year, pullets can take longer to start laying. The days are getting shorter and the older chickens are molting and preparing for winter. Your girls may take an extra 4-8 weeks to start laying when they mature in the fall to winter. From the looks of them, I would say you have at least another 6-8 weeks for most of them. When their comb and wattles start getting bigger and turn bright red, you will know they are close.

1 person likes this.
  3. acomeau13

Sep 14, 2015
    Massachusetts
  4. Roland Deschain

Roland Deschain Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2015
    yacolt,wa
    Welcome to BYC, those are beautiful birds!the first eggs are the best...so exciting.[​IMG]

5. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Welcome to BYC! The usual time is 18-21 weeks.

7. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Oh, and I hope you get that first egg soon. [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    link wouldn't work for me. Another sign that hens are approaching point of lay is, when you touch their backs, they will squat for you, as they would for a rooster. Do you have nesting boxes prepared for them? If you put a golf ball or two in each next, it gives the girls sight clues of where eggs should go.

Hope you will be getting your first eggs soon. Once they start you will want layer feed for them, and a side container for crushed oyster shell. If they need extra calcium they will take in the oyster shell.

9. emptynesters970

emptynesters970 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2015
    NOCO

We thought our largest waddle and comb BR would be first but it was the exact opposite! As a first time chicken mom, I am beginning to see the parallels of raising kids...expect the unexpected! Her first egg was a week ago at 21 weeks. So far, she's the only one laying. Good luck!

10. acomeau13

Sep 14, 2015
    Massachusetts
    Thank you all for all your knowledge and advice! I just keep checking everyday waiting...... I am going to try the golf ball idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by