New Member and to backyard Chickens

kcardullo

Hatching
Mar 21, 2015
Southern New Hampshire
Hi My name is Kristie and my 7 year old son and I are going to build a coop this spring and convert our Gazebo into a chicken yard. We just ordered our baby chicks from our local Farmers Exchange. They arrive in May. We got 3 Golden Comets and 3 New Hampshire Reds. I have my brooder set up and all my supplies for their arrival. We have a 12 year old Boston Terrier Mix and a Golden Retriever 10 month old. So protection is high priority as I am not sure how the puppy will react. I have been looking at Hardware Cloth. It says to bury a foot deep under the soil for digging critters. So far that is my plan. We are working on our design now. I know I want a slide out tray for cleaning the coop. Any other tips I should know about while designing my coop?
Thank you,
Kristie

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

Sounds like you are planning ahead, good for you. You will find the answers to many of your questions in the Learning Center - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/housing-and-feeding-your-chickens

Welcome, Kristie!
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our community.

You've picked out two nice breeds that should lay very well for you! The Learning Center is a great place to start learning about chickens.
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
So glad you joined us.

Wish I had your gazebo….I can imagine it will be hen haven.

Good luck with your plans. Sounds like you have already done your research to get prepared.

Feel free to ask questions, post any concerns you have. We're here to help.

Best to use the hardware cloth to cover all exposed areas of the coop/run to keep the predators out. Around the foundation of all, extend out 2 feet and tamper dirt over and cover that with heavy stepping stones or dirt.

IMO don't trust your dogs around chicks or chickens.

Good luck on your great new adventure.

Back
Top Bottom