Plymouth_Rock_Mumma

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2021
Hi all!
I am brand new to raising chicks , with my Plymouth Rocks only being 2 and a half weeks old! 10 hatched, however unfortunately last night I lost one after complications since hatching. She was a gorgeous soul who the world just wasn't ready for yet, emotions are still high on losing her. So now I am left with 9 gorgeous chicks. The help and info I got from this page has helped immensely over the last two weeks so I figured why not join the BYC gang! So far my favourite thing about raising chicks is their surprising individuality and cheekiness (plus the cuddles). Other hobbies of mine include gardening and bird watching, I am an Environmental Scientist so most of my hobbies and work revolve around conservation and sustainability! I have one other pet aside from my flock, a beautiful border collie x lab girl! She loves her "friends" however isn't allowed to close as that working dog instinct is a little *too* strong.

Any beginners tips welcome! Surrounding coop ideas, introducing dogs safely, and just some beginner oopsies you made and learnt from along the way!!

I look forward to being apart of this community!

It must have hurt losing your chicken but at least you have the others
Hi all!
I am brand new to raising chicks , with my Plymouth Rocks only being 2 and a half weeks old! 10 hatched, however unfortunately last night I lost one after complications since hatching. She was a gorgeous soul who the world just wasn't ready for yet, emotions are still high on losing her. So now I am left with 9 gorgeous chicks. The help and info I got from this page has helped immensely over the last two weeks so I figured why not join the BYC gang! So far my favourite thing about raising chicks is their surprising individuality and cheekiness (plus the cuddles). Other hobbies of mine include gardening and bird watching, I am an Environmental Scientist so most of my hobbies and work revolve around conservation and sustainability! I have one other pet aside from my flock, a beautiful border collie x lab girl! She loves her "friends" however isn't allowed to close as that working dog instinct is a little *too* strong.

Any beginners tips welcome! Surrounding coop ideas, introducing dogs safely, and just some beginner oopsies you made and learnt from along the way!!

I look forward to being apart of this community!
Hello :frow

Losing one is sad but an exceptional great result as you managed to keep all 9 of the others. I'm really impressed :)

I'm pleased that you have found this friendly forum there are so many threads too guide you on a vast amount of interests.

:welcome

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
Sorry for your loss.
Coop suggestion? Build, don't buy.
Offer at least 4 sq ft of floor space per bird, 1 linear foot of roost space and 1 sq ft of permanently open ventilation per bird and keep the coop DRY at all times. Have lots of top hinged windows that can be left open during hot weather. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom