1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

New member desperate for an answer

Discussion in 'BYC Website & Forum Feedback & Announcements' started by Swoopie, Jul 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Swoopie

Swoopie New Egg

Jul 11, 2008
    I have received chicks and ducklings that are now two days old. One of the chicks has a film over her eyes giving the impression she is blind. Her equilibrium is off and I am having a hard time watering and feeding her. Is that film on her eyes temporary.? How can I feed and water her?
    Please help,
    Thank you in advance,
    Swoopie

2. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

I just wanted to bump your thread for you...I don't know anything about ducks so I hope someone else can jump in to help you out! Good luck!

3. chiknwhisperer

chiknwhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Lowell, IN
    When I had a rabbit that got its eyes injured at a petstore both eyes had film over them but eventually the film went away. Perhaps an injury. Maybe.......

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Swoopie, maybe if you edited your title, you'd catch the attention of the right people. There have been many people with possibly blind chicks.

Change it to: "Do I have a blind chick??", and maybe one of them will notice it and respond.

5. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    not promising it will reslve the matter but you can give three drops of Polyvisol Enfamil formulation in the beak once a day for a week then taper off the next >polyvisol Enfamil is a liquid a-B-D childrens vitamin >vit A in particular might be helpful...
    You can gently dribble a bit of water along the beak to get it started drinking... you may have to add water t the feed and use the same technique to get it eating. Now you do not want to go and squirt a large amount of feed or water in its beak as birds cannot close off the hole leading to their lungs as mammals can...dribble a wee bit along beak or dip it in the waterer. The chick will not be able to find the waterer and feed and scramble against the others in this situation so I suggest you separate and help it to eat and drink and also put electrolytes in the water <they are sold at the feed store >if you cannot get to feed store then childrens pedialyte will work as an emergency substitute (dilute 50/50) . It is imperative you keep this bird hydrated. Dehydration will kill it quicker than what is ailing it.
    You can flush the eye out with a sterile saline solution (you can make this yourself by boiling 1/4 tsp salt in a quart of water).

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by