New Member-Finally told my husband we could have chickens and now I'm obsessed!

Great EggsPecktations

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2023
Yep. I kept saying, "no," but now that we have them, I'm the obsessed one! LOL. It only took a few decades for me to cave in. :D

We have 2 Easter Egger "teenagers" (2 months old),1 Columbian Wyandotte, and 1 Blue Laced Red Wyandotte that are both a week old. We will have 2 Whiting True Blue pullets in May. They are a few weeks younger than our Easter Eggers and a couple of weeks older than our Wyandottes. All of our chickens will be female as we cannot have roosters where I live. Okay, we won't know for sure until all of our chicks are older, but hopefully they are all hens.

If you can't tell by my username, I love puns. Our EEs are named Lizzy Hennet (after the protagonist from Pride and Prejudice) and Chris Hensworth (After the actor, Chris Hemsworth, because his last name just lends itself to being a chicken pun!) Our Columbian is Peter Yolk after Peter Falk, who played the "peck at you personality" detective, "Columbo." She has a little spicy personality! Our Blue Laced Red is named Cluck Kent a.k.a. Superhen. She's out of this world (though not an alien.) We're still deciding on our names for our Blues.

This is all new territory for me. My husband did have chickens when he was a kid. We are enjoying the girls so far. For us, they are pets and egg layers. I picked colorful egg layers. We should have blue from the Whitings, brown from the Wyandottes, and well, whatever the EEs are going to give us. I'm hoping for green and pink, but we'll see.

Chicken math has already happened for us. When I said, "yes," I also said only 3 chickens. We'll have 6 and yes, that is my fault. Oh, well.

I've been doing a ton of research and this site kept coming up so I decided to join.

:welcome Welcome to the BYC forums and I hope we hear lots from you in the future.

When I got my first flock of 10 laying hens, I made sure to pick breeds that each gave a different color of egg. I thought that was the best! I enjoyed each and every special-colored egg from my special colored hens.

Dear Wife only wanted to have brown eggs. So, my second flock was mainly the hybrid ISA Brown hens that lay large brown eggs. The ISA Brown is my best layer, so I'm OK with that, but I do miss all the colorful eggs I used to get.

My chickens are not my pets and I don't have names for them, but I do love the names of your girls. Very clever of you.

:smackMy suggestions are usually the last Dear Wife will consider. Even when I'm right, she has a hard time admitting it. I was the one who wanted to get chickens over my wife's objections, but after I got my flock and we got our first eggs, she is all in with fresh eggs that we enjoy. Although I do all the work with feeding and caring for the chickens, she will wash our excess eggs and sell them to her friends. That little bit of extra income pays for the feed costs of my flock.

Again, welcome to the forum.

Back
Top Bottom