new member finally!

TheDenaChickens

In the Brooder
Nov 10, 2015
Hello from Pasadena Maryland! my name is Lisa and I am a new member but not new to BYC I will fully admit to lurking around this site in the 2 years I have been a chicken mom and have gotten a lot of GREAT information here. This morning while lurking I thought, why have I never joined? Sooo here I am, as I said I started my chicken obsession 2 years ago when a neighbor who had just hatched out a bunch of chicks asked if we would like some, I was a little reluctant but my hubby jumped in and said yes. I'm sure he regrets that a little. My first 4 turned out to be 2 buff orps, an easter egger,and a beautiful lavender orpington rooster which sadly I had to get rid of for I live in neighborhood and no roosters allowed. That following spring I got 3 EE chicks to add to my backyard flock mostly because I love their fluffy cheeks, the blue and green eggs are a bonus. I now had 6 and thought I would be satisfied with that, hahaha! My first and thankfully only casualty occurred late that same spring. Still don't know why Lilly, one of my buffs died, we just found her dead in the pen not an hour after I had let them out. It was heart breaking. So again this past spring I added 2 BL wyandottes and 2 faverolles(again the fluffy cheeks) so my chicken math has me up to 9 now, though technically I'm only allowed 8 shhh. But one of my faverolles has a scissor beak and we didn't expect her to make it so I would have had 8. With a lot of research mostly on this site I'm happy to say that Special(I didn't want to name her because I didn't think she would survive so we called her the" special chicken" and it kinda stuck hence her name Special) is alive and well and laying eggs! Needless to say she has become everyone's favorite but don't tell the other girls. Along with the growing flock has been the ever expanding coop. This is where I say my husband probably has a little regret lol. But seriously he has been a trooper with all my "great ideas" to improve the coop. To give you an idea, the neighbors call it the coop majal and ask when the cable is getting hooked up. I love my "girls' and spend as much time outside with them as possible, even in the winter. They are my gardening companions and my de-stressors. I thankfully have a great neighbor who is an animal lover and watches the girls when we go camping a few times a year! My husband and I have two adult children still living at home (why I am currently in chicken therapy lol) and one fat fluffy child Lacey, the dog, who tolerates the chickens and occasionally gets jealous when they get too many treats. That's my ever changing ever expanding story for now. I will try to post pictures of the girls, Daisy, Rosey, Tunie(Petunia), Violet, Sunny(Sunflower),Blossum, Buttercup,Bubbles(yes the power puff girls, had help with that one from 1 said adult child), and Special when I can get one of the kids to help me out as I am technology deficient. Thanks for reading!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. A lot of us were lurkers before joining. :eek:) I love the names of your chickens. I'm sorry about Lilly's death. It's always sad to lose of our flock. :eek:( Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Hi Lisa,
welcome-byc.gif

Be careful, chickens are addictive and no one here will ever tell you that you have enough!

There, there, we know how irresistible puffy cheeks are - it's not your fault, that one leads to another or two or three. Resistance is futile. Welcome to Backyard chickens.

Back
Top Bottom