New member flying in! 🇳🇱

LoreWalker

Songster
Jul 15, 2020
Hi all,

I was told to introduce myself first, so here goes.

Are you new to chickens?
I am new to raising chickens, but have wanted them since I was about 11 years old. My SO has raised chickens growing up, but hasn't had any in the past 6 years or so. I'm here to hopefully learn a lot!

How many chickens do you have right now?
No chickens yet! We're putting the last finishing touches on our coop this week. This weekend we might go and pick up some "rescues" if all goes as planned.

What breeds do you have?
The rescues we're looking at are 3 cochin bantam hens, or 4 Japanese bantams with a rooster. We'd have space for all of them, but not sure how well they'd get along as they don't know eachother. The cochins are 1 year old, the japanese about 3-4 months.

What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
Chickens are just so cute! And I would love to have fresh, free range eggs from happy chickens. What better way to get those than from your own flock?

What are some of your other hobbies?
I love to draw and embroider, I'm learning to felt and spin wool, and love to play boardgames and Dungeons&Dragons with friends.

Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
My name is Lore, I'm a shepherdist living in the Netherlands. I have 2 border collies that work with me in a nature reserve to herd 300 sheep in the heather fields. We also have 2 cockatiels, a budgie and 2 zebra finches we're building an outside aviary for once we have our coop all up and running, and are getting 2 baby bunnies from a friend who accidentally got a male and female in stead of two females...
I live with my SO and his 85 year old gran who lives nextdoor. She still keeps a huge vegetable garden, so the delicious vegetable scraps for the chickens will be many!

How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I was looking for info on possibly keeping the bunnies and chickens together, and figured I should join once I stumbled onto this community through there! This seems like a welcoming, warm place, so I'm happy to be here!

Back
Top Bottom