"New" member from Arizona

lakeyn

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2015
Hello! My 10yr old son & I have been raising chickens for just under a year now and having a great time! I did months of research before choosing breeds that would suit our needs as well as be happy with us too. We have a mixed flock which includes 1 white leghorn (the boss), 1 australorp, 1 easter egger, 1 red star....and the 2 newest members which are rescues 1 black star & 1 buff mix= 6 total in our little flock!
I'm a DIY lady for sure! I'm always building something for the chickens! My latest chicken projects include an auto feeder, chicken coop expansion & new roof.
We're located in the East Valley if any other chicken lovers happen to be out this way- maybe we can swap eggs, etc. Looking forward to finally interacting with more people on here instead of just reading the articles, which are awesome too :)

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sounds like you have a lovely flock! You can chat with your chicken neighbors too in your state thread and see what they are up to these days....https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/31227/arizona-chickens

So glad you could join our community and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Raising chickens is a wonderful experience for children. Our children and granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loved our chickens and made lap pets of the calmer and more gentle breeds (like Australorps). Black Stars (Black Sex Links) are my personal favorites as they are very friendly and hardy, egg laying machines. I raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 large, brown eggs per hen per year. You should get loads of eggs from that girl. :eek:) If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is loads of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
You are so right! Our Australorp is a neighborhood celebrity. She even won over a child that was terrified of birds, but now carries her around. Most of the hens like when the kids ride them in the basket of their bicycles too! It's comical to watch how much fun they have together. I'm glad you commented on the sexlinks! I LOVE those large eggs since personally I only like the whites so they're the perfect egg :)

Last edited:
Thanks for the warm welcome!
You are so right! Our Australorp is a neighborhood celebrity. She even won over a child that was terrified of birds, but now carries her around. Most of the hens like when the kids ride them in the basket of their bicycles too! It's comical to watch how much fun they have together.
I believe it. Most of our Australorps have been big lap babies. :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom