New Member from Arizona

eric70

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 27, 2013
I recently found this site when researching getting a coop started at our home. We had chickens and some hogs here years ago, and they provided both excellent food and a great amount of enjoyment.
This time, now retired and having the time, I want to learn more about doing it all better particularly the rendering and preparing them for the table. We've got a few acres here so room isn't difficult, but our summer heat here is brutal, so I want to choose an area for the coop that has some shade, in addition to roofing over most of the enclosure.
This is a fine source of information, and really looking forward to learning the best methods of proceeding.

Thanks folks, Eric

welcome-byc.gif
I've heard how brutal the weather can be - one member from Phoenix area had to air condition his coop. Chickens will need shade (real or man made) and those mister hoses in the worst of the heat. Ice in water bowls, et etc.

Thanks dawg53, I've already learned quite a bit from this forum. Remember when we had to walk to the library to get a 'book'?

Hello drumstick diva, yes, it can get unbelievable here. Last winter we had a couple days here with lows of 18F, unusual but not unheard of. Then in summer we'll easily go to 110F or higher. So we're usually planning for one extreme or another...
A good mister system with a timer is definitely in the plans; we'll be at Home Depot on Monday and I'm sure they sell some diy kits. Lots of planning yet to do, but I want to get it done and operational soon before the heat gets too bad.

Thanks

Hello BrendaJ and thanks. What fantastic weather and greenery you have there for raising chickens - gardening too. Lot of envy for the easy water supply too. Enjoy!

Greetings from a fellow Arizonan and
welcome-byc.gif
Be sure to drop by our Arizona thread and see how we raise chickens in this heat. There are lots of knowledgeable folks there that would be glad to hear your ideas and offer suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom