New member from Bama.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by wirerat123, Aug 25, 2014.

1. wirerat123

wirerat123 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2014
    Guntersville, AL
    Hello folks. New here. I guess a little about me. I grew up raising game chickens, hogs and cattle. Of course a garden and such. Me and my family have moved into my childhood home and farm and are beginning to get things back in order. But instead of games I plan to raise mostly dual purpose breeds with some exotic breeds tossed in for those looking for such birds. We eventually plan to grow into some milk goats and are having solid success with our garden already.

At current I have fenced in a 20x100 area and started building a large coop to house a dozen or so laying hens with plans to put meeting over it for protection from avian predators. I will be building breeding pens in the pole barn on the other side.

We keep being given chicken house culls from people living around us. Oddly enough only one of them has weak legs currently, but there are only 4 left because they got dropped off by surprise while we weren't home and lost 5 to heat stroke and one (our favorite because she had cuckoo coloring in white and paddle grey) got pulled under the fence by our dogs. That has now been remedied.

We also have a quarantine pen with 4 7 week old easter eggers we've had for a little over a month, all exceptionally healthy and very fun to watch. The little rooster thinks he's the baddest bird on earth. We let them free range for a while every day.

So that's me in a nutshell, any other questions about more feel free to ask.

2. chikkenfriend

chikkenfriend Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2013
    Texas
    My Coop
    Welcome Wirerat. Sounds like you got a great setup! Good luck to ya. Look forward to your posts....

3. chickenbloomers

chickenbloomers Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2014
    I live in Missouri.
    Hello Wirerat123, welcome to BYC![​IMG]
    Wow, you sound busy, trying to get into homesteading.?

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community! Make yourself at home here and welcome to our flock!

5. arkansas55

arkansas55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2014
    arkansas
    hello,welcome,sound's like you have a good flock going,can't wait for pic's[​IMG]

6. wirerat123

wirerat123 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2014
    Guntersville, AL
    Yep, I inherited the house and the surrounding 4 acres, and an additional 29 across the road. We've been planning on building a fairly self sufficient homestead for several years, so we remodeled the old house, moved in and have worked mostly on improving our garden plot so far, but I decided it's time to add chickens to the mix recently. So I've been studying quite a bit lately and building structures to keep them safe. We are so not ready to have them, but we do lol. We really are enjoying my little flock of EEs. The chicken house culls are being grown for the freezer. They really are way healthier birds than expected (we've had them about a month.), but certainly aren't very intelligent lol.

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I'll get some pictures up soon.

1 person likes this.
  7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your farm projects and flocks!

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

9. BayBay Peepers

BayBay Peepers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 5, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by