New member from Central Florida.

You are most welcome
smile.png

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

Ayams are gorgeous birds... we always need more people in the poultry community who are in it for the improvement and furthering of the breed and NOT the money. Especially when it comes to these "popular rare" breeds like Cemani. Good luck with your project.

I have to be honest, I was a bit worried coming forward with getting them at first. I've seen this breed getting a lot of flack with scammers and people just trying to make a buck. I think I actually lucked out getting 6 chicks for 200, especially with them being from the GFF line. I know people think I'm crazy at home for spending that much, but I honestly got them for ME. I'd love to breed them in the long run, but even if I just end up with 3 viable ones, I'd still be happy. I think they are gorgeous and just fell in love. I don't think I'll ever have a decent enough line to sell any, but I'm more than ok with that. If that makes sense.

I have to be honest, I was a bit worried coming forward with getting them at first. I've seen this breed getting a lot of flack with scammers and people just trying to make a buck. I think I actually lucked out getting 6 chicks for 200, especially with them being from the GFF line. I know people think I'm crazy at home for spending that much, but I honestly got them for ME. I'd love to breed them in the long run, but even if I just end up with 3 viable ones, I'd still be happy. I think they are gorgeous and just fell in love. I don't think I'll ever have a decent enough line to sell any, but I'm more than ok with that. If that makes sense.

GFF is pretty good and yeah, I'd say that's a good deal.

Yep, there's a lot of people who are breeding Cemani these days... and very few people who are breeding good Cemani.

You can definitely start a line with just three birds. I've got a friend who breeds Araucanas - she started with a single pair of "eh" quality birds and now, ten or twelve years later, has champion quality stock. It just takes dedication and careful selection. Chicken breeding is definitely not for the impatient.

I've found something really helpful is reading over the breed threads in the exhibition/standardbred forum. Not just of the breed you're working on, but any breed. Particularly the old standby breeds, like RIRs, Plymouth Rocks, Wyandottes, etc. With those breeds you see lots of people who have had these birds for 30, 40, 50 years and every one of them will have some great advice about breeding strategies, methods, principles, what to do and what not to do, that will apply to just about any breed out there. Just start at page one and work your way through... no such thing as too much information.

That's what I've been doing while lurking. I've always been a sucker for genetics and just find it fascinating. We've shown and bred boxers for over 10yrs and we do extensive health testing. It's never been about the money but about helping to enhance the breed and I feel the chickens shouldn't be treated any less, especially with a breed like Ayams. It's kind of nice hearing something other than "you'll never have a good flock unless you are willing to spend thousands" I just hope that over the years I can make something out of these little guys to be proud of. But hey I even like the Easter eggers! Doesn't always have to be high class lol

That's what I've been doing while lurking. I've always been a sucker for genetics and just find it fascinating. We've shown and bred boxers for over 10yrs and we do extensive health testing. It's never been about the money but about helping to enhance the breed and I feel the chickens shouldn't be treated any less, especially with a breed like Ayams. It's kind of nice hearing something other than "you'll never have a good flock unless you are willing to spend thousands" I just hope that over the years I can make something out of these little guys to be proud of. But hey I even like the Easter eggers! Doesn't always have to be high class lol

Yup. It's easier to start with really high quality birds - certainly much quicker to get results. But if you have birds that are decent - not necessarily great, even, but decent - you can get somewhere with enough patience. Bad quality birds, that's another story, but if you have an OK base, you've got a good platform to build off of.

Genetics are so much fun. If you want to do some in depth reading I highly recommend the book Genetics of the Fowl by F.B. Hutt.

Oh, and then there's the chicken calculator:

http://kippenjungle.nl/kruisingCQ.html

Last edited:
Oh that is just too cool. That looks like it would be fun just to play with! So far I think I've got some decent chicks, a bit of light nails here and there, but nothing extensive. I'll get a better idea once they get a bit older and their real feathers grow in. I haven't really checked their months yet as I'm still scared I'll break them

You may want to contact user name Pyxis for more information, they breed Ayam Cemanis as well as other breeds.

Welcome to Backyard chickens. I have found so many dog breeders on here. It's a big leap from Boxers to Paps. Papillons are so graceful and beautitful. I used to breed and show cockers way back in the late '60s - through late 70's.

Yeah I've discovered Pyxis seems to be the go to for others on here, so I've been looking up their posts to research what I can.

And yeah I know I love boxers and we've built up a good rep, but to me it's always been my mom's reputation. I've always liked papillons and actually started with a pap/pom mix when I moved for college. Then I discovered just how hard it was to find a reputable breeder willing to part with a breedable female @.@ which I understand. My girl has a nice bloodline, but I'm not going to show her because her front is too short, but I'm planning on breeding her up when she's old enough. I'm hoping to be able to do the same with these Ayams. I've always liked being able to see how far you've been able to improve and learn among the way. I'm so excited

Back
Top Bottom