New Member from Colorado

tdavidson48

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2022
Hello all,
We have a small 5 acre homestead in Northern Colorado, first got chickens spring 2021, 3 Ameraucana (Easter Eggers) and 3 Rhode Island Reds. Turns out one of the reds was a rooster so we decided to expand the flock to try to keep him from beating up the girls too much. Spring of 2022 we purchased 2 Columbian Wyandottes and 3 Barred Rocks, and as luck would have it we think one of the Barred Rocks is also a rooster. Thus why I am here looking for advice. I have browsed this site and learned man things in building our coop and run.

Hello all,
We have a small 5 acre homestead in Northern Colorado, first got chickens spring 2021, 3 Ameraucana (Easter Eggers) and 3 Rhode Island Reds. Turns out one of the reds was a rooster so we decided to expand the flock to try to keep him from beating up the girls too much. Spring of 2022 we purchased 2 Columbian Wyandottes and 3 Barred Rocks, and as luck would have it we think one of the Barred Rocks is also a rooster. Thus why I am here looking for advice. I have browsed this site and learned man things in building our coop and run.
Hi and welcome to the flock. I also have Americanas aka easter eggers (Americaucanas are red eyed breeds watch the spelling please). They are beautiful birds I sit with mine multiple times a day they sit on my arm now. They are a little skittish and flighty at first and require some attention. But I love the colors. I wish you all the best with your flock!

Last edited:
Glad to meet you. I do not have roosters, but have seen discussions before. Some roosters can get along, provided they have lots of space. They tend to split the ladies in to tribes or sometimes one rooster becomes the wingman or assistant for the other. Here is a very helpful article on rooster behavior in (fairly) natural settings from member @Shadrach , who knows a lot about roosters. Whether the roosters can get along or will fight endlessly depends so much on their personality, which does not come out until after they hit puberty, I hear.

Hi and welcome to the flock. I also have Americanas aka easter eggers (Americaucanas are red eyed breeds watch the spelling please). They are beautiful birds I sit with mine multiple times a day they sit on my arm now. They are a little skittish and flighty at first and require some attention. But I love the colors. I wish you all the best with your flock!
I had a feeling I had that spelling wrong :)

Thanks for the welcome everyone. We learned so many things from this site just by lurking. Glad to finally be a member.

Back
Top Bottom