New member from MA

capewind

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 2, 2011
The brief intro is we have a small home flock of laying hens (mixed heavies) and are located on Cape Cod (eastern Massachusetts). We've had hens a few times over the years, but would still classify ourselves as novices beyond the basics. I found this chatboard via a websearch for a chicken forum:) The reason I am posting today is due to a concern...

We raised a group of day olds (kept 11, hatched 1/29/11), but got impatient for eggs, and adopted two hens from a less than desirable situation, which is what brings me here today.

These other hens were loved, but the type of situation where they were rescued by a well meaning, but inexperienced person, and were grossly overcrowded as a result. Other than loss of back feathers (minor to extreme raw backs), they were friendly, had good weight, and no signs of lice (then or now).

Of the two we brought home (about 6 weeks ago now), one (named Missy) only had a small area missing feathers (maybe the size of an egg), and only a little "red" (but not raw) area above her tail feathers (definately not a sunburn issue/they were in a covered run surrounded by trees). She is nearly 100% healed (can't see a bald spot and feathers are about 90% replaced in the area).

The other girl (named Penny), approxiamately 50% of her back and the entire "butt" area was raw. Her back is looking MUCH better. The effected area on her back is now only a bit red in the center, but not "raw" looking. The "healed" area on her back without feathers is now what I believe to be her appropriate skin tone. I am not sure if her "back feathers" will grow back or not. What has me still concerned is her "back end" while not AS raw looking as it was, is still pretty RED, and the best I can tell, doesnt look to be regrowing any feathers. Should we put anything (ointment/bag balm) on her back end or just wait it out?

We have no issues with pecking order (the new girls are not dominant), plenty of room, etc, thus no "new" pecking of feathers. They are all very laid back, well Penny is a pest to ME (talkative/under foot) until she has laid her egg LOL.

I should also add that the home these two hens came from had no roos, nor do we.

Any ideas or advice for Penny would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Geri

welcome-byc.gif

First of all,
welcome-byc.gif
. You live in a lovely place and we live just about as far away from you (on the West Coast) as we possible could. Both great places for chickens!
Most likely, unless your two adopted hens have a skin condition, the feathers will grow back. We had a dear hen Rosie (now deceased) that had all her feathers pecked off her head by her five sisters. I used something called Rooster Booster and explained how it worked on my hencam website [http://www.backyardhencam.com/raising-chickens/rosies-pecked-head-bottom-of-pecking-order/]. While the ointment stopped the pecking, the feather took forever to grow back. Finally, when she molted, new feathers grew back. I hope this is what happens to yours! Good luck!

Quote:
Thank you! Since getting Penny and Missy out of their original environment, we are nolonger having any issues with pecking, but it seems like it is taking an unreasonable amount of time to heal:-( Her back is looking pretty good considering what it looked like to start, but there seems to be so little improvement to her rear. I was thinking bag balm to possibly soothe it, but that stuff is pretty tacky and worry about things sticking to her. Looking at the rooster booster made me think of using Calendula cream, as while treating skin isnt one of its primary features, it could help her skin, but I hesitate again for her "bottom" being a bit tacky and things sticking to it:-( It isnt "oozing" (I have had visions of wrapping her in vet wrap LOL) and it IS staying clean, but it looks aweful:-( I'm guessing it may not bother her nearly as much as it is me, as she is still laying, and other than being a demanding brat to me til that egg is laid each day, nothing seems "off" from normal chicken behavior.

Are there any "skin problems" that I need to watch for? Aside from having hands on experience with mites (thanks to another rescue years ago), and another time we had a minor issue with pecking on a young cock with a deformed leg, we've never had a sick or injured chicken.

Back
Top Bottom