itsredcandy

Songster
8 Years
Jan 15, 2012
Far East Mesa, AZ
My Coop
My Coop
Hello,

My name is Selina. I am a married mother of two girls ages 6 and 8. Moved to the Phoenix, AZ area in 2005 from Portland, OR. I love AZ. Recently have become interested in healthful benefitsof food rather than focusing on the taste of unhealthy food. I watched a movie about our food industry and was sickened by many things, but one thing I can do I refuse to buy Tyson chicken and also I can raise my own laying hens. So, 10 day old chicks bought on 1/14/2012. A new adventure begins.

I've been reading so much valuable information here on this site and the forums. Thank you all of you for your wonder information and individual point of views. I live in an HOA and am hoping the street noise will muffle out the clucking of chickens and the odor is controllable. I am favoring the DLM. I know we have a neighbor that has had a rooster for about 2 years and am pretty comfortable about not being fined by the HOA for the chickens but if I am I will find them a loving home.

My husband is going to be building the coop and we're going for a playhouse style coop with a run attached to the back door. The run will be covered to prevent predators from getting in and keep the chickens from flying to the neighbors.

I was surprised how much support I got from those I thought would call me nuts. My grandmother is one of them. I thought for sure she would call me crazy but she was impressed and very supportive. My husband on the other hand, well he thinks I've lost my marbles.

Look forward to learning from all of you.

BTW.. I picked up 2 Barred Rocks, 3 New Hamp. Reds, 2 RIR, and 1 Ameraucana yesterday. I am going to let my girls pick out one each today.

welcome-byc.gif
Selina sounds like you have a great plan. Remember too hens announce when they have laid an egg or eggsong. Usually at the same time of day thankfully.

deb

Hello,

My name is Selina. I am a married mother of two girls ages 6 and 8. Moved to the Phoenix, AZ area in 2005 from Portland, OR. I love AZ. Recently have become interested in healthful benefits of food rather than focusing on the taste of unhealthy food. I watched a movie about our food industry and was sickened by many things, but one thing I can do I refuse to buy Tyson chicken and also I can raise my own laying hens. So, 10 day old chicks bought on 1/14/2012. A new adventure begins.

I've been reading so much valuable information here on this site and the forums. Thank you all of you for your wonder information and individual point of views. I live in an HOA and am hoping the street noise will muffle out the clucking of chickens and the odor is controllable. I am favoring the DLM. I know we have a neighbor that has had a rooster for about 2 years and am pretty comfortable about not being fined by the HOA for the chickens but if I am I will find them a loving home.

My husband is going to be building the coop and we're going for a playhouse style coop with a run attached to the back door. The run will be covered to prevent predators from getting in and keep the chickens from flying to the neighbors.

I was surprised how much support I got from those I thought would call me nuts. My grandmother is one of them. I thought for sure she would call me crazy but she was impressed and very supportive. My husband on the other hand, well he thinks I've lost my marbles.

Look forward to learning from all of you.

BTW.. I picked up 2 Barred Rocks, 3 New Hamp. Reds, 2 RIR, and 1 Ameraucana yesterday. I am going to let my girls pick out one each today.

Welcome, Selina! (My daughter's name is Selina, also.) GREAT NAME by the way.
smile.png

Since your other neighbor had a rooster, it seems you should be fine with your chickens.

They can get loud whenever they choose to do their eggsong.

Mine don't do the eggsong often, but when they do, it's LOUD till they shut up.

And yelling SHUT UP at them doesn't work.
big_smile.png

Good luck with your chickens and congrats on eating healthier!

Hi Selena,
I'm actually from Salem, OR and transplanted to the other side of the valley from you. Winter is all well and good here but I can hardly stand the lack of rain! Summer is something ominous on the horizon, hopefully we get a mild one this time around.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I actually like the AZ heat and lack of rain. I enjoy Monsoon season and the quick 20 minute rains it brings. I took my girls today to ACE Hardware as the had a new delivery of chicks. Unfortunately they didn't have any white egg layers so I told them we'd pass and come back in a few weeks. They may have some in two weeks. I am going to be looking for a couple white egg layers for my husband. I think I could easily get Chicken Fever (chicken obsession).

Back
Top Bottom