New member from Michigan

Elyssia001

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 23, 2012
Michigan
Hello!

Growing up in my family in Missouri, we've always had more than our share of pets. Gerbils, guinea pigs, hamsters, fish, cats, dogs, ferrets, and parakeets; if you could get it at a pet store, we had them! My grandmother had a farm, and then my aunt purchased one as well when she retired.

But since I moved out and married 10 years ago, rentals have kept my personal pet population to a pair of shy, but sweet, guinea pigs and a large tank of fish. We plan on purchasing a house of our own in the next year or so, and the first thing I want to add to our family is a small flock of chickens!

I'm mostly interested in raising hens for eggs, but my husband has voiced interest in raising a few meat birds as well. I suppose it all depends on how much property we can afford when we finally get around to house shopping.

My interest in raising chickens was stirred when I started looking into better ways of home gardening, another of my hobbies. I love the idea of a large farm, but I know caring for large acreage would be too much work for my husband and I, so gardening gives me the taste of that dream without as much responsibility. I also enjoy the feeling of self sufficiency and control over my life it brings. I am looking forward to a big garden and now chickens too!

I found Backyard Chickens when I started googling advice for raising chickens as a newbie, and this place seems to have a fantastic community where I can learn and connect with people just like me.

Like I said above, it's just me, my man, my guinea girls, and a tank of fish. We live in Southeast Michigan. We both enjoy movies, books, video games, and I have a mild fascination with end-of-the-world survival scenarios as well, which my gardening feeds. Ha ha.

Greetings from Kansas, Elyssia001, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you aboard. You should be a natural with chickens since you have always had some critters hanging around. Hope you and your hubby are both happy and get some chickens for meat AND eggs! Good luck to you!!

Back
Top Bottom