New member from NC with pictures of new chicken quarters

Shag

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 3, 2009
NC
Hi y'all. We moved out to the country about a year and a half ago and finally got around to getting a couple of chickens. Gonna pick up a couple more probably next weekend. Today we worked on a new coop/run for our chickens. It's 8'X8'X6' high and the coop is about 6'X3'X2.5' high with a shingled roof. It is 100% enclosed (floor, ceiling, all sides) with welded wire fence. We have one Rhode Island Red and one other kind of chicken right now but I forget what the name of the breed of that one is. I'll find out when we go back to get a couple more. Still want to put a ramp up to the coop and put some nesting boxes in there and a couple of roosting perches. But the hard part of the building of it is done. We don't plan on keeping more than 5-6 chickens in there at the very most, probably not more than 4 so we think we have plenty of room. What do y'all think? Here's a few pictures of our setup so far.

n1437904395_186698_313.jpg

2 doors for easy access to coop/nesting boxes for collecting eggs:
n1437904395_186699_672.jpg

The doorway so we can clean it out and get them fresh food/water:
n1437904395_186700_1014.jpg

Shot showing how the top is also covered with the welded wire fencing. Nothing's gonna get in or out of this thing unless we want it to (we hope):
n1437904395_186701_1361.jpg

LOOKS great .
welcome-byc.gif

But I am going to make a commit and remember where you heard it , chickens are very addicting and YOU WILL end up with alot more than you expect to .
lau.gif

So , plan ahead buddy !!!!!!!

Looks great!! I love how you made the door so you can collect your eggs.

I will tell you what someone on here told me and that i learned from experience. Chickens can stick there heads through that wire you are using. I would put some hardware cloth around the bottom so they don't get snagged by a predator.

Back
Top Bottom