1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

New member from NC with pictures of new chicken quarters

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Shag, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Shag

Shag In the Brooder

Jan 3, 2009
    NC
    Hi y'all. We moved out to the country about a year and a half ago and finally got around to getting a couple of chickens. Gonna pick up a couple more probably next weekend. Today we worked on a new coop/run for our chickens. It's 8'X8'X6' high and the coop is about 6'X3'X2.5' high with a shingled roof. It is 100% enclosed (floor, ceiling, all sides) with welded wire fence. We have one Rhode Island Red and one other kind of chicken right now but I forget what the name of the breed of that one is. I'll find out when we go back to get a couple more. Still want to put a ramp up to the coop and put some nesting boxes in there and a couple of roosting perches. But the hard part of the building of it is done. We don't plan on keeping more than 5-6 chickens in there at the very most, probably not more than 4 so we think we have plenty of room. What do y'all think? Here's a few pictures of our setup so far.

[​IMG]
    2 doors for easy access to coop/nesting boxes for collecting eggs:
    [​IMG]
    The doorway so we can clean it out and get them fresh food/water:
    [​IMG]
    Shot showing how the top is also covered with the welded wire fencing. Nothing's gonna get in or out of this thing unless we want it to (we hope):
    [​IMG]

2. hoosier

hoosier Songster

[​IMG]
    Looks great!

3. mizauntcathy'shenhouse

mizauntcathy'shenhouse Songster

Sep 18, 2008
    Huntsville, TX
    Looks like your ready to go.... Welcome!!! You'll love this site and there is so much to learn form all the members.

[​IMG]

4. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Good looking setup you have there. And [​IMG] from TN

5. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Songster

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    LOOKS great . [​IMG]

But I am going to make a commit and remember where you heard it , chickens are very addicting and YOU WILL end up with alot more than you expect to . [​IMG]

So , plan ahead buddy !!!!!!!

6. redoak

redoak Songster

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    [​IMG]

Very nice coop and run

7. willowcol

willowcol Songster

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Nice coop. [​IMG]

8. Jolyn

Jolyn Songster

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Looks great!! I love how you made the door so you can collect your eggs.

I will tell you what someone on here told me and that i learned from experience. Chickens can stick there heads through that wire you are using. I would put some hardware cloth around the bottom so they don't get snagged by a predator.

9. davidb

davidb Songster

Dec 15, 2008
    north east Georgia
    nice very nice:welcome

10. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Songster

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by