New Member from New Zealand

BYC welcome 1.jpg

It's nice to have you here! Make yourself at home, thanks for joining us :)

Hello everyone! I've just signed up to BYC and I'm excited to learn and meet other chicken enthusiasts

I'm not exactly new to chickens, we've always had a couple of hens on the farm for our own eggs. My husband all of a sudden decided that that we were going to start having more, so pretty soon our 6 chickens morphed into 60! We provide eggs for friends and family, and also for the farm staff and their families. We have a mix of breeds, but each are kept separate in their own free range run and hutch. Currently we have Plymouth Barred Rock, Light Sussex, Gold-laced Wyandotte, Silver-laced Wyandotte, Araucana, Rhode Island Red and a Patridge Wyandotte. We hope to work towards raising and selling these heritage breeds.

I'm a veterinarian by trade, but I work with dairy cattle. Most of my chicken knowledge has been picked up on an as needed basis and certainly after I completed my training.

I take animal husbandry and welfare very seriously, and love to teach this mantra to my two little boys. My eldest is 4 and is my little helper when we are taking care of our chicks and chickens. I think looking after pets and livestock is a big help for children to learn empathy, compassion and responsibility.

I've lurked for a while on BYC, but never joined. I decided to join as I have some questions regarding genetics that I can't seem to find doing my own research.

Back
Top Bottom