New member from Pennsylvania

Ambrose09

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 18, 2014
My wife and I just started our own little flock this past spring. We have 2 Dixie Rainbow, 1 Araucauna hen and 1 rooster and 1 Rhode Island Red. Plus 6 guineas. I look forward to learning some new things from everyone on here.
[/IMG]

Welcome!
Is that your daughter? What a cutie.

Sounds like you have an interesting mixed flock. What can you tell us about the Dixie rainbows? I've heard about them, but never the pros and cons from someone who owns any.

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help.
smile.png
You have a beautiful flock!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Cute little flock! The pic of your daughter is priceless.
smile.png

Enjoy all your adventures and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

You have a beautiful flock!

Thanks for the welcome! The Dixie Rainbows are a very large breed. From what I read they were originally grown to be a meat chicken. My 2 hens are just as tall and a lot thicker than my rooster, Robbie. You can definitely tell they were bred to for the meat. They're pretty laid back as well. In fact all my flock gets along very well. Except the 2 more mature guineas. They seem to push the chickens around. Also when can I expect some eggs? These were purchased as a few day old chicks the week before easter. Also can anyone tell me more about the temperament of my rooster? He's really calm right now but just wondering if he'll get more aggressive with age.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Your daughter is adorable. Raising chickens is a great experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. She names our hens after Disney princesses and has made lap pets out of our Black Australorps and Buff Orpingtons. :eek:) I don't know about Guinea eggs (you can post on our Guinea section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/45/guinea-fowl, but chickens usually begin laying from 20-24 weeks (sometimes a little earlier than that, sometimes a little later). As far a the temperament of your Dixie Rainbow rooster (also sold as Pioneers) I've never had any so I can't answer that, but there is a very thorough thread on them at https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/885429/pioneer-meat-birds-the-good-the-bad-and-the-very-very-ugly. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Back
Top Bottom