New member from Rescue, CA (Just getting started)

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
frow.gif

You might enjoy browsing teh Henderson chicken chart, it has lots of useful information about breeds, including egg laying in weather hardiness.

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Welcome to BYC. Glad you joined!

If you have neighbors, you might want to have a talk with them about the roosters. They can crow all night. You really don't need a rooster, unless you want chicks.

I think bantams are a good chicken to start out with. They're small, friendly, and pretty.

~AnnElise

Thanks for all the replies! We jumped in. My daughter and I picked out 4 americaunas, 6 hamburgs and 2 light sussex. I'm sure this will be a very exciting journey! I love just watching them and listening to them peep.

I've been reading that it's best to get a red heat lamp, but it's such a high heat at 250w compared to 90. My chicks peck with the 90w white... and pant with the 250w red. How high up does it (the red one) generally need to be? My white 90w is at about 18" above their floor... I'm going to raise it another 6" and see what that does. Chicks are about 4 days - 10 days old.

Hi Rescuechick. I think the red lamps keep them from noticing the blood when they peck on each other and makes them less likely to continue doing it. I find that crowding and/or too hot/too cold causes them to peck. Try placing a thermometer on the floor underneath the heat lamp to see what the temp is at chick level then adjust the lamp height from there. I also arrange some small, low to the ground branches in with the chicks so they have something to do. They really like to try to "roost" even at a few days old.

Back
Top Bottom