new member from Reunion Island what type of bird do I have?

have a bird my dog and i rescued from a feral cat on a hike north of the house on the goat trails. think it might be a guinea fowl.

have had it for 4.5 weeks now. growing fast, here is another picture taken a week or two later.

would like to know what type of bird it is. chicken, partridge, or guinea fowl
it is about 6 times the found size, pictured in my wife's hand.
rather smart bird; when I am sitting down it will stand on my foot and then I will raise my foot so my leg is straight at the knee and then it will walk onto my lap. Loves for me to turn over rocks for delicious bugs, loves spiders, beetles and flies.

thanks in advance for your help

It could be a keet (guinea). It will be easier to tell when it gets its matured feathers. Wish I could be of more help
hmm.png

Here is a picture of keets:

EDIT: Oh, and...

EDIT (yes, again): Do you have a better picture of its face? That could really help, your little sweetie seems shy and is hiding their face pretty well in both pictures :)

Last edited:

He is much bigger now, feathering out quite well. Wants lap-time in the morning and in the evening and also in between. I'll see about getting a current picture tomorrow.

thanks for your keet pics, sure looks like what we have.

the beak is black at the end now, with just the tip still tan and the raised part looks like it wants to turn red.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Does not look exactly like a guinea fowl. Perhaps a free standing picture might help someone identify the chick.

side view above and doing Tai Chi below

these are the latest pictures of our mystery bird. he/she has a large vocabulary: I'm happy, I love this food, david where are you? something is bothering me! I'm just chill'n and i want to be on your lap. Constantly chattering and loves afternoon naps on my lap.

My wife and I have discussed getting another bird, but want to get the same type as a companion and hopefully it will not be so attached to me. Really must be where ever I am and that gets to be a bit of a pain. It is on my lap as I compose this reply. A very good helper in the garden, eats the weeds and insects.

thank you for the link to the pictures. partridges and chickens are common here, along with goats: cattle at the higher elevations 4-5000 feet.

any advice you can give me is appreciated and thank you for taking the time to view and respond;

most ignorant about poultry. Have built a small enclosed run, about 9 foot by 9 foot, hibiscus bush and three papaya trees and a wooden dog house converted into a coop with a roost removable roof and floor for cleaning are inside of the run.

thanks again

Back
Top Bottom