New member from So. Utah

farmchickutah

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 4, 2013
Hi, I am farmchickutah . I have about 50 laying hens. We have had chickens all of our married life (38) years. We inherited the hen house from my husband's parents. As our kids have grown they have helped to take care of the hens and sell eggs in our small town. Now that the kids are all grown we continue to keep the flock up and still sell eggs. Found this site and have enjoyed learning things here. My egg customers love our fresh eggs and I love reading about you other chicken people!

Hello and welcome, Glad you have joined.
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks everyone for the welcome , haven't been back on because I got a new granddaughter last Friday! We are having a lot of rain here in So. Utah, it is unusual and my chicken run is so wet. We just keep getting huge thunderstorms! Anything anyone uses to help sop up the mud?!

Thanks everyone for the welcome , haven't been back on because I got a new granddaughter last Friday! We are having a lot of rain here in So. Utah, it is unusual and my chicken run is so wet. We just keep getting huge thunderstorms! Anything anyone uses to help sop up the mud?!

Hi farmchick,

Congratulations on the new addition!!!

We too are having a huge influx of rain in the Northeastern part of the state. Luckily, my runs are built on 'higher' ground with a slight incline away from the coops, preventing standing water. We are however on the backside of a large berm which holds a very, very big wash!! So far, our efforts last year in rebuilding that berm, after an intense downpour brought all the water down from Starvation Lake Park, destroying said berm and flooding us and the neighbor, have held out, even though the steady rain is visually wearing away at it. The berm was originally built about thirty years ago when a downpour resulted in enough water coming down the wash and lifting a home right off it's foundation. That home has since been moved however prior residents in our home lost several of their livestock and poultry just four years ago, in a flood when the lower end of the berm was totally washed out.

Farmchick, if I were to have a problem with water, I would probably use sand. The play sand you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes. I've heard others who use it and they love it.

Good luck at the southern part of the state, stay dry and again, congrats on your new addition!!

Back
Top Bottom