New Member from Southern California

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hockeyfish, Jun 7, 2016.

1. hockeyfish

hockeyfish Just Hatched

Jun 7, 2016
    So Cal
    Hi my name is Josh. First off I want to say thank you to all the members who have shared their valuable knowledge on websites like this one for newbees like myself to grow and learn off of. In 3rd grade I had a wonderful teacher who brought fertile chicken eggs into our class and allowed us to watch and learn about the chicks as they grew in the classroom incubator. Once the chicks hatched a few lucky students got to take a chick home and I was one of them. I had my very first chick a Rhode Island Red named Strut and I was hooked. I fell in love with strut and was devistated when she finally passed. Well it's been 15 years and now I finally own A property where I can have my beloved chickens again. This year we started off with a mixed flock consisting of a barred rock, buff Orpington, Rhode Island Red, white leghorns, Delaware , silver and golden laced wyandottes, Easter eggers, and a silver laced polish. Things are going great and we can't wait for our hens to start laying some eggs!

Thanks for reading and have a great day :)

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock!

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Josh and welcome to BYC - great to have you onboard with us. It sounds like you have a great mix of breeds!

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you

All the best
    CT

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Josh, you picked some fine breeds for your flock. Welcome to Backyard chickens.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Yes, once you keep chickens, you never do get them out of your blood! I was raised around them as well but it wasn't until I was an older adult did I get back into poultry.

You have picked out a nice assortment of breeds! I hope they bring you great joy.

Great to have you aboard and welcome to our flock! :)

6. LaurelTree

LaurelTree Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2016
    Central Florida
    Welcome to BYC!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by