New member from southern illinois

ihc1256

In the Brooder
Sep 29, 2015
southern illinois
Hello; I thought I join you chicken people instead of just reading your post. I am retired for five years from const. and farming and my wife will retire in three more years from teaching. We have four grown children and eight grandchildren. We had chickens all of our lives until two years ago when a mink got all them. Built a new chicken house and will get 25 in about 2 weeks. Cant wait till their here. I hope everybody will bear with me on the computer, for its not one of my favorite things to use.

Welcome to BYC, and back to keeping chickens. As for the computer, this is a pretty easy site to navigate. If I can manage,
old.gif
I'm sure that you can.

Howdy and Welcome to BYC. Watching the farm is a good way to retire. I've been doing nothing but that lately. Only problem is I'm young and not retired. I have to go back to work soon. Great vacation though.

HI :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! That's great to hear that you are starting again with chickens. Sorry to hear you lost your previous flock to a mink. Predator attacks sure can be devastating, I had it happen and was an awful experience.

We were all new once and I'm sure once you get the knack of BYC there will be no stopping you. I blundered my way round at first but soon got the hang of it. It is a great site and I'm sure you will enjoy being here very much.

Good luck with your new flock in the future :frow

You may want to consider using 1/2" hardware cloth to replace any flimsy chicken wire. Minks, snakes etc, would probably not being to squeeze through the openings, but, you also have to secure openings around gates, and fill in any holes around the coop as well.

welcome-byc.gif

What breed of chickens are you getting? It's nice you're getting back to poultry, they are fun little animals (not to mention, the eggs are great).

Thanks for joining us!

I am getting 6 rhode island reds and 6 leghorns. Also 6 each of barr rocks and buff orpintons and one surprise roo. My old chicken house was at least 50 years old and the mink got in through the floor. My new one is like fort knox with concrete floor and two pop holes with one with a chicken guard. I haven't got my run done yet but I will have a little time.

Back
Top Bottom