1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Member from Texas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by hyak107, Jan 31, 2017.

1. hyak107

hyak107 New Egg

Jan 31, 2017
    Hello,

New member here from Bertram, TX. I'm in the process of setting up a coop and am hoping to leverage the more experienced folks on this site as I'm new to raising chickens.

Some beginner questions; I live on an acre and have two small sections that are already fenced. Each section is roughly 200 square feet. I was thinking of starting off with a half dozen pullets, would 200 square feet be enough, or should I expand it to 400?

I have six dogs (I'm a sucker for rescues). They are all adults and will need to be kept away from the chickens, so the rest of the property is off limits unless I put the dogs up.

Anyway, I have a lot of questions floating around in my head but figured I'd start off with that one :).

Steven

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Welcome to BYC, Steven!

You can't have too much space for chickens - the more the better. 200 sq ft would definitely be enough. If I were you, I'd expand the run now, so it's easier in the future if you get more chickens.

Glad you joined us!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Steven, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! I agree with the above statement regarding space - the more the better but 10 sq./ft. per bird in the run is reckoned to be adequate. As you are way over that it's all good. If you'd like, spend some time perusing the Learning Center here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center It is packed with useful articles spanning the entire range of chicken keeping. And if you'd like to chat with some other poultry keeping Lone Star Staters, find the TX thread in this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
    Best wishes and thanks for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

4. hyak107

hyak107 New Egg

Jan 31, 2017
    Thank you for the greetings and link to the Texas thread. I've been researching breeds that can handle the Texas heat, so it would be good to chat with some Texas-local folks.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Steven, Hope you will enjoy BYC as much as we do.

6. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Steven, it's nice to have you here!

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Steven [​IMG] Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by