New member from the UP of Michigan

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by magdalen13, Oct 21, 2010.

1. magdalen13

magdalen13 New Egg

Sep 27, 2010
    Hi BYC!

I've been reading tons of forum posts and thought it was about time to introduce myself.

We just bought a small rural home in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan this summer, and it came complete with a large chicken coop. We had bought local farm eggs for a while and thought it would be great to have our own little flock. Since we're also in the middle of the woods we also wanted some insect control -- those mosquitoes and ticks get nasty. So we asked around and found a lady nearby with some chicks in July.

Started out with six or so bantam chicks, some cochin, some silkie, some frizzle. Then we added three Wyandotte chicks, then five Muscovy ducklings, and now that they all are adolescents we also have added some older bantams, including a laying hen. (so far, she's the only one laying, though). Along the way we've given away some extra roos, of course, and still looking for homes for 3 more young roos. Now we have 13 chickens and 5 ducks. They free range during the day and cuddle up in the coop at night. So far, so peaceful.

Now we are getting this little flock ready for winter (they can be harsh up here) and looking forward to the gang growing up even more. It looks like before the snow flies we will be taking in a family member's birds, which are one duck (unknown type) and 13 more chickens (type also unknown) as they don't have the resources to keep them over the winter. That'll be interesting I bet.

Glad to hear from any other U.P. members, especially about winterizing! Also glad to hear from others who have mixed flocks like this. I look forward to learning from you all!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

3. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG]

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio.

5. Kat's Silly Chickens

Kat's Silly Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    South Central Texas
    [​IMG] from Texas

6. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    [​IMG]

7. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    [​IMG] Be sure to check in on the Michigan thread. Lots of great folks over there. [​IMG]

8. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Hello from Tucson and [​IMG] I was once a Yooper! Good luck this winter, oh, wait, it's already here for you. [​IMG]

9. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Welcome, from Eastern Wa. there are some great threads on here about winterizing coops.

10. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    [​IMG]

I'm a Congessional Yooper! We're in the same US Congessional district. I live near the town where that guy who threatened Bart Stupak lives. [​IMG]

Anyhow, with winter coming there's a lot of winter threads. Patandchickens from Ontario is the expert here on winterizing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by