New Member from Utah - Introduction

MelBrown13

Chirping
Jul 20, 2020
Since I have no idea what sort of information to include in my introduction, I'm using the handy template provided. :)

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
We are VERY new to chickens. We bought a new (to us) home a few months ago, and there was already a nice coop and sizable run in place. My husband wanted a dog, but the kids (12 and 5) wanted chickens. And here we are.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

There was a minimum order of 30, which is what we started off with, but we knew that would be too many to keep or even to brood.

Our chicks hatched on June 30th and arrived on July 2nd.

Unfortunately, very early on, we lost a few due to reasons unknown (at least 2 from overnight trampling/smothering from their brood mates).

We rehomed 9 chicks on July 18th.

We have 17 Bantams as of 7/21/20.

(3) What breeds do you have?
Great question! Wish we knew! haha
I've created another post in the Breed Identification forum in hopes of figuring that out.
We know for sure we have 2 black and 1 buff Silkie as well as 2 Polish Crested...the rest remain ba mystery for now.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?

We're not raising chickens for eggs but rather more as pets. The kids think they're fun, I think they're fascinating, and my husband thinks we're all crazy (be he's loving them too!)

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Lots of family time (and still unpacking from the move I mentioned, above.)

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

We're in Salt Lake City, Utah area. We are allowed hens on our property, but local ordinances prohibit roosters.
We've already been in contact with 2 local farms more than willing to take in our roosters once we've identified them (hopefully before they crow start crowing!) haha

Would love to hear from anyone in our area (or any other!)

Back
Top Bottom