New Member from Virginia

MixedBlessings

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 21, 2011
Northern Virginia
Hello! Let's see, there was a nifty template wasn't there...

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

My husband and I received our first chickens almost a year ago now -- four full-size hens for eggs. They were a wedding present from a friend of mine who is a Poultry Enabler. This year I decided to add some bantams for fun, and am hoping to show silkies next year if I hatch out some nice ones.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

We don't like to talk about that. Can you ever really have too many?
wink.png

(3) What breeds do you have?

Our four big hens are a silver-laced Wyandotte, an Australorp, a Welsummer, and an Easter Egger. In bantam size I have crele OEGB, bearded silkies in blue, black, partridge, buff, and lavender, easter eggers, and some mutts who hang around to look tiny and adorable.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

Google! I have been lurking here for ages getting chicken help!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I spin, knit, and dye things -- I use natural dyes and synthetic ones depending on how much effort I want to put into it. I also read, rescue feral cats (or just trap-neuter-release if they aren't adoptable -- but so far I've placed 12 in homes), and am in the middle of training my own mobility service dog.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I'm married to a very understanding husband who does the morning chicken visiting, have four dogs, five cats, and CHICKENS!
big_smile.png
I'm looking forward to getting to know people here!

Nice to meet you! I have family in Virginia, but I live in Texas. I have 2 chickens that are mine, but the flock has 7 chickies.

welcome-byc.gif
from Kansas! So good to have you aboard!
woot.gif

Lets see: 1. I am back into the chicken game after having chickens as a kid - that was ages ago. Wish I hadn't waited so long because it has been very rewarding. I strated out with 35 that I got in March of this year. Most have been processed but a few are still around.
2. Right now I have 6 - four adults and 2 chicks, but I have 25 coming in tomorrow.
3. I have 4 easter egger and 2 wheaten marans chicks. I will be getting 13 cornish X for meat and 12 hen chicks of the following varieties: Delaware, red star, black star, ancona, easter egger, buff orpington, and black australorp - hopefully these will be my egg layers!
4. I found BYC while doing internet research on chicken coops. Been hooked ever since!
5. I like to hunt and fish, read, play with my dogs - 2 labs, and brew my own beer - and now chickens!
6. I am a school guidance counselor, have a finace', and love to take road trips to places I've never been.

Welcome to BYC!!
yippiechickie.gif
ya.gif
yippiechickie.gif
ya.gif
yippiechickie.gif

jumpy.gif
Hello and welcome from Chickens Are Great 12!
jumpy.gif

I have a lot of chickens! I also have:
15 turtles
2 rabbits
bun.gif

2 dogs
smile.png

1,000,000 fish
smile.png

and of course, my wonderful chickens
jumpy.gif

Thanks for joining us at BYC! -