new member from washington- hello & questions :)

ketchup

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 30, 2011
Washington
Hi! Im a new member to the forum and a new proud owner of two chickens. Barred Rocks. They are great, I love them. Getting familiar to all I need. interested in any info on best eco friendly way to keep mites away, best way to keep their area clean enough to be sanitary and safe. Am also looking for creative water feeders, so their not kicking dirt in in it daily
smile.png
grain feeders too. Anyone have a good link to treadle feeders that are not too expensive?

do people use a disenfectant foot bath outside of their pens?

Welcome! I have heard that diotomacious earth (I know I didn't spell that right) can help keep mites away. It's worth a shot, right?

Thanks all! I do have the DE food grade, was a little cautious to use it as some people state it is very bad if you breathe it in. Suppose I will just use it where it wont be kicked up that much, such as on the bottom of the roost.

I am also looking to hopefully find a farm or person not too far from me (Im in WA), where I can get a frizzle sizzle hen chick. Anyone know of any farms that may? Thank!!

welcome-byc.gif
from Kansas, ketchup! I also am a believer in food grade DE! I don't get bogged down with things like footbaths since my birds are contained and no one with chickens of their own come visit, etc. Best of luck to you!!
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom