New Member- Georgia

SlickyChicky

Chirping
Feb 27, 2020
We are fairly new to having chickens, and live south of Atlanta. April 2019 was our first purchase from Tractor supply. Did some research as to what they needed, etc. Ended up jumping in head first. 24 to be exact, couldn’t resist all the fluffy butts. They all so cute, thought I would have variety of colors. Didn’t see anywhere not to mix them up. Long story short, I still have 3 buff orpingtons, 2 of the bantams, and 2 I’m still not sure. We also have 7 of the Saipan Jungle Fowl. Found them by researching different chicken breeds. My fiance was intrigued by their size and colors. I was leery because they are known for being used for fighting. I’m not all about that. Not happening.

I’ve enjoyed having our chickens. They all have their own personalities. My group from TSC are producing eggs, which is helping us and now a few other families.

My other hobbies are hunting, fishing. Pretty much being outside. During bad weather, I enjoy sewing and collecting coins. Now I’ve added incubating and candling the eggs from our Saipan's. They only lay 100-120 per year with 40-55% chance of being fertile. So of course I had to try the incubating process, and candling. Oh my gosh I’m addicted. 14 eggs later I finally have 1 hopefully hatching Thursday. Fingers crossed. I don’t have any other fur babies. I enjoy just having my chickens around.

We found BYC on google search when we researching raising chickens. We found a lot of helpful topics and read about real experiences instead of just lab researches. I enjoy reading what the other members have to say.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! 🐔

Feel free to drop in and share your flock

Updates for 2020 with us here in my 2020 flock life thread

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/2020-flock-life.1351080/

A2761510-EB55-4AF8-AD19-03E8F6321510.jpeg

It’s nice to meet you!

Back
Top Bottom