new member--Gretchen--my6citychicks

my6citychicks

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 13, 2013
Hi to all you backyard chicken fanciers!
I look forward to getting to know you and to learning from you.
I am a first time chicken owner who has always wanted chickens.
Last spring, I was driving in the country, and came across a Rural King store.
I had been researching chicken breeds for some time, and went into the store, which had all the breeds I had thought of ordering from a hatchery.
I bought 2 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Arucanas, and 2 Black Stars, all about 2 days old and adorable!
Brought them home to my small duplex apartment in a city that does not allow chickens, and put them in a cat carrier.
Within a week, they were too big for it, and I found a small coop/cage/box for them which fit on my kitchen table.
They were hand raised and cuddled every day until they got too big and ugly and stinky to stay in the house!
I ordered the "Peck and Play" from Murray McMurray hatchery (a really great product), put them in the yard, and started to look for a new place to live that allowed chickens.
I moved one town over, and now have a backyard for my girls, who are about 4 months old.
I am actually quite surprised that I could raise these tiny chicks into healthy teenagers who seem to know how to act just like chickens! I did read a lot of books, and lurked on websites like this one to gain some knowledge.
So, here is my first question:
My girls are on a grower food, and I supplement their diet with occasional treats like scratch grain, veggies, fruit, and table scraps.
They look great, and are now free ranging in my fenced back yard where they have free access to water, eat bugs, grass, weeds, and have a real fondness for my flowers and herbs (**** chickens!)
They come into their coop every night where they have their chicken feed and water.
Finally, the question--do I need to provide them with chicken feed when they are out in the yard? We have been here for about 2 weeks, and I haven't yet. They seem pretty happy, and look great.
Thanks for reading, and I look forward to your advice!

Hello and
welcome-byc.gif

This is a great site with lots of chicken info!

In my opinion, giving them chicken feed when they are free ranging chickens is not needful. They already get plenty of protein in their food from whatever bugs and scraps they find while scratching around in the yard.

Good luck with your chickens!

Greetings from Kansas and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! Chickens need a nutritionally balanced poultry food. Running around the yard, eating bugs, worms and seeds is good, but should supplement a chicken food. This is very true of young chicks and laying hens which have more specialized concerns. Good luck to you!

Thanks to all for your replies.
Still not sure--the girls get balanced chicken feed when they are in their coop at night.
Do I also have to provide it for them when they are free ranging outside during the day?
I tend to think not.
I'm just not sure how much chickens have to eat.
Mine look pretty fat and happy so far.

Back
Top Bottom