New member; has never owned fowl

Sir Dunce-A-Lot

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2021
Hello everyone. So yes. I joined this community particularly because I love birds. I had always wanted a budgerigar when I was little, but my parents didn't think I would be able to care for it. Nevertheless, I'm older now, and I think I can begin somewhere, with guidance from you all of course. Assuming I do begin keeping chickens or other galliformes (or ducks) in the near future, I will probably have many many questions. I hope I am not a bother, and am glad to have joined this community.

With that out of the way, would anyone like to share what your first fowl was? (Species, breed, sex, etc.)

You will certainly not be a bother; no one who wants to learn about keeping chickens -- or any other critters -- happy and healthy is never a bother.

Since you asked, about first fowl. I'm not sure if it was the chickens we had outdoors or the parakeets we kept indoors. But, as a kid, we always had birds, including a mynah that was housed in the kitchen and was known to pitch chunks of food out of his cage and onto unsuspecting guests.

Today, I have chickens, ducks and geese, and have a room of my house known as "the bird room." It has bird wall art, collectibles, vintage stuffed mounts, needlework -- and I usually brood baby birds there in the spring.

Welcome to BYC! Ask anything and everything. Someone here will likely know the answer and will be happy to help you!

Back
Top Bottom