New member hello!

Mosaicgal

In the Brooder
May 31, 2020
Hi there. I’m Lauren from Tucson Az. This is my first time as a Chicken Momma and I have been loving it! I have 5, 3 week old chicks and am happy to have found this great resource. I have 2 Silkies, a Barred Rock, an Easter Egger and a Welsummer. Hoping they are all hens!!!🤞🤞🤞🤞 Our big challenge in the desert is keeping the chicks cool enough during our very hot summers. Any tips are welcomed!

Hi, and welcome to BYC! I am so excited that you have joined this amazing community! The first thing to keeping chickens cool is to make sure their water is always cold. Putting chunks of ice in their water can greatly help. Some people recommend not using just nipple waterers as well during the summer as they cool themselves off by dipping their combs and wattles in the water. I like to feed my birds frozen berries, and limit scratch grains to cooler weather, as it keeps them warm digesting it. Make sure that your coop has lots of ventilation and provide several water stations. If your hens have a run, you could use a shade cloth and maybe plant some chicken-hardy plants to provide shade as well. It might be a good idea to provide outdoor nesting areas for your chickens to lay their eggs if your coop gets to hot. I hope this was helpful!

Hi there. I’m Lauren from Tucson Az. This is my first time as a Chicken Momma and I have been loving it! I have 5, 3 week old chicks and am happy to have found this great resource. I have 2 Silkies, a Barred Rock, an Easter Egger and a Welsummer. Hoping they are all hens!!!🤞🤞🤞🤞 Our big challenge in the desert is keeping the chicks cool enough during our very hot summers. Any tips are welcomed!
Hi, and welcome to BYC! I am so excited that you have joined this amazing community! The first thing to keeping chickens cool is to make sure their water is always cold. Putting chunks of ice in their water can greatly help. Some people recommend not using just nipple waterers as well during the summer as they cool themselves off by dipping their combs and wattles in the water. I like to feed my birds frozen berries, and limit scratch grains to cooler weather, as it keeps them warm digesting it. Make sure that your coop has lots of ventilation and provide several water stations. If your hens have a run, you could use a shade cloth and maybe plant some chicken-hardy plants to provide shade as well. It might be a good idea to provide outdoor nesting areas for your chickens to lay their eggs if your coop gets to hot. I hope this was helpful!

Many thanks for your ideas!!! If you don't use nipple feeders in the summer, do you use bowls of water or the red chicken waterers that are especially for chicks? Also, the scratch grains are the snack type grains? Do you use anything besides berries in place of that? Thanks for helping this newbie out!

Back
Top Bottom