New member...HELP!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I will go ahead and move this over to the emergency section for you. Have some information ready and describe what the issue is so they can help you. :)

I hope you can get your bird back to good health soon!
hugs.gif

What exactly is going on? What are the symptoms, what age is the bird, have you done a basic exam to help determine what is causing the trouble with this bird? :)

I just noticed today my chicken cant walk, she can't stand up and won't eat or drink and her head is to the side. she can't lift her head up and I noticed white and clear mucus come from behind. She is getting worse and worse by the hour. Anything I can do? I just put her in her own space for now away from the other chickens.She is two years old

Last edited:
At this point it may be too late to do anything for her. Could she be egg bound? Has she pooped at all recently? The mucus out of the vent could also be Vent Gleet which is a yeast infection of the intestinal tract.

I would keep her comfortable somewhere for now. You might do an internal exam through her vent to see if maybe she has a stuck egg. Put on a disposable glove with some vaseline or ky-jelly on the index finger and insert your finger gently into the vent. If she is egg bound, the egg will be right there.

If she isn't egg bound, at this point you could try and get fluids into her. If she is so weak she can't hold her head up, she may not survive much longer.

there was an egg laying on the ground earlier today which I think was from her. So I don't think that is the problem. She is going down hill so fast. It is so sad to see. I just don't get what happened.

Can she hold her head up at all? If she can at least sit up, you might use an eye dropper and dip some water under her tongue, see if she doesnt perk up.

You will need to pry open her beak and get the water under her tongue. But if she is having difficulty staying upright, you probably shouldnt attempt giving water. If she isnt responding well enough, she may be getting ready to pass on.

Back
Top Bottom