New member here!!

thu2train

Hatching
Sep 5, 2016
hello everyone!! I am new to this group and I'm really excited! I have dreamed about having chickens for as long as I could remember and we finally got a house with a large enough yard for chickens!! I got my pullets roughly two weeks ago. I was given a 50 lb bag of starter feed. The hens are roughly 5 months old. Do I have to go buy layer feed or can I just feed them starter feed and still produce eggs?

Greetings from Kansas, thu2train, and
welcome-byc.gif
. Thank you for joining our community! I usually wait til the first egg before switching them over to layer feed, but at 5 months and depending on breed, they should be laying very soon. Best wishes and enjoy those fresh eggs!!
smile.png

Starter or grower? Grower wouldn't hurt them at all, I like to see birds stay on grower until about 18 weeks. Starter shouldn't hurt them either, but it is medicated with a thiamine blocker known as "Amprolium" (for coccidiosis) which, at this age, is unnecessary. You might consider purchasing a bag of layer feed and mixing it with the starter, which will allow you to feed out the starter while reducing the levels of now unnecessary Amprolium (and building up a bit of calcium while they get ready to lay).

Starter or grower? Grower wouldn't hurt them at all, I like to see birds stay on grower until about 18 weeks. Starter shouldn't hurt them either, but it is medicated with a thiamine blocker known as "Amprolium" (for coccidiosis) which, at this age, is unnecessary. You might consider purchasing a bag of layer feed and mixing it with the starter, which will allow you to feed out the starter while reducing the levels of now unnecessary Amprolium (and building up a bit of calcium while they get ready to lay).

While mostly true - not all starter is medicated so it is important to differentiate between medicated and unmedicated starters when making such statements.

Welcome to Backyard chickens!! I hope you enjoy it and the camaraderie here and everybody that goes nuts over chickens (me being one of them....) Have fun! And ask questions!

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

If you feed them starter till it runs out, once they start laying, put out a separate container for crushed oyster shell. Your layers will be able to eat it free choice as needed.

Thanks for all the input!! The starter feed does have amprolium. Would this still be okay to feed until the first egg?

Back
Top Bottom