New member here

cherit50

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
Hi, my name is Cher and I posted a question earlier today (in the predator section) about what could have killed several of my chickens. My husband and I live in south Louisiana and we have enjoyed raising our chickens and are sick to have lost so many this week. With only two left, we'll have to pretty much start over again. I'm sure this group will be of help to us in the future. Look forward to learning from those who've been raising chickens for a long time.

welcome-byc.gif
Good luck with your poultry raising adventures, and I hope you find everything you need to know. Don't forget to take a look at BYC's very useful learning center (If you haven't already)! The learning center as well as the forum should answer your questions! There is always something new to learn! Glad to have you here! See you around with the flock.

images

Welcome to BYC!

I am so sorry for your losses. You will probably need to keep your birds in a run during the day and a safe secure coop at night. Kelsie has left you with the link to your state thread. I hope you can get a handle on this soon.

Do some research in the predators and coops thread to see how you can beef up security. Otherwise you will just lose more and more.

Are you in an area that allows "electrified" wire fencing?
Have you examined the area for footprints, fur stuck around a fence, etc. This could help pinpoint what predators you have.You can install a game cam so you may catch a photo of the perp.

Did the predator get them when they were free ranging or breech their coop? The fact that so many were taken marks your flock as a definite place for free and easy meals. It or they will continue to come back.

First do not free range the survivors. You may even want to lock them up well in the coop for a few days till you figure what's going on.

I'm sure anyone responding on the predator threads will offer more detailed information.

Back
Top Bottom