New Member Here :)

Mozzarella

Hatching
5 Years
Aug 6, 2014
Hi guys, long time stalker here !

My grandfather used to fight roosters, a LONG time ago, before I was born. But then he got a little white bantam pullet, to use for calming the huge roosters. I was around 2-3, and I loved her, so she retired and became my pet. She passed away a while ago, she was ten. But it started my love for chickens.

Now my grandfather and I have Golden Laced Wyantottes, Golden Comets, White Leghorns, 1 Barred Rock, her half sister who is a mutt and I have no idea, Brown Leghorns, and White Leghorns x Barred Rocks for eggs. Then we have the hens of the fighting rooster breeds (sorry I don't know what they're called...we call them the Mother
Hens since we use them to hatch off chicks), bantams, and 2 pairs of silkies.

The silkies are my favourite. They aren't show quality or anything, but they're so sweet and beautiful. I've had my white pair for 3 years almost. I just got the black pair a few months ago. Practically as soon as we got home the hen started laying eggs, so we set a few. They hatched 4 chicks. 2 are jet black, one is nearly white, and one is grey. They are beautiful. I love the grey one the most. Her name is Eskimo. I've never even seen a grey silkie in person before!

Everyone is having problems here. The cole mining business is declining, and chicken fighting is now illegal. Fighting roosters used to be worth TONS of money...now people are trying to trade them for laying hens!

Anyways, I love all animals really. I have 5 rabbits, 9 hamsters, 2 gerbils, 4 geckos, some turtles, 2 dogs, fish, axolotls, and a cat and a few more. We just got the cat and we are trying to get him to stop stalking my chickens!

Anyway, I'm excited to be here :).

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

So happy you joined!

Cock fighting is sure a hard thing and I'm glad it is no more.

Yes, silkies are a wonderful and beautiful breed! Glad you are enjoying them.

Best wishes to you and your flock!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Hi! Awesome choice for a name. Best cheese there is for making pizza!
wink.png

You have 9 hamsters! I thought I was crazy for having 4 guinea pigs! They're all boys and fight each other so they have to be kept in separate cages...lots of cage cleaning for me! I have had hamsters in the past...they never seem to stop moving! When I let one run just to see how far she could go...she ran and ran and took a nap for 2 seconds and ran and napped... At least a guinea pig will sit in your lap long enough to pet it!
smile.png

Have fun on BYC and if you have any questions just search BYC. They have had all the answers I needed!

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

So happy you joined!

Cock fighting is sure a hard thing and I'm glad it is no more. 

Yes, silkies are a wonderful and beautiful breed! Glad you are enjoying them.

Best wishes to you and your flock!

Thank you :). Agreed. I did enjoy seeing them at markets, they are so pretty. Sad they had to fight:(. Yes, I love my silkies. Thank you :).

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sounds like you have a nice flock, Silkies are adorable chickens! And that is a really interesting bunch of small pets you have, you might like the Other Pets forum https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/22/other-pets-livestock

Oh great thank you. I will post pictures there when I can:). Thanks for the welcome!

[COLOR=333333]Hello there and welcome to BYC! [/COLOR][COLOR=333333]:frow [/COLOR]

Thank you :).

Hi! Awesome choice for a name. Best cheese there is for making pizza! ;)

You have 9 hamsters! I thought I was crazy for having 4 guinea pigs! They're all boys and fight each other so they have to be kept in separate cages...lots of cage cleaning for me! I have had hamsters in the past...they never seem to stop moving! When I let one run just to see how far she could go...she ran and ran and took a nap for 2 seconds and ran and napped... At least a guinea pig will sit in your lap long enough to pet it! :)

Have fun on BYC and if you have any questions just search BYC. They have had all the answers I needed!

Haha, yep, the hamsters certainly are crazy. One of my boys is so lazy, I swear he's a guinea pig on the inside. The others are complete menaces...I love it! I had guinea pigs, but as much as I love them they are lots of work. I would like some more sometime though:). Thank you!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. You have a nice mixed flock. Golden Comets are egg laying machines. We used to have some Black Silkies and they were adorable, sweet, friendly, little birds. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC!  Glad you decided to join our flock.  You have a nice mixed flock.  Golden Comets are egg laying machines.  We used to have some Black Silkies and they were adorable, sweet, friendly, little birds.  Please feel free to ask any questions you may have.  We are here to help in any way we can.  Good luck with your flock.

Thank you:). I got 2 Goldens last year, then 6 more in March, when they were 2 days old. 4/6 of those already lay!

Thank you:). I got 2 Goldens last year, then 6 more in March, when they were 2 days old. 4/6 of those already lay!
Golden Comets are one of the labels under which some hatcheries sell their Red Sex Links. In addition to Golden Comet, I've purchased them in the past under the labels Red Star, Gold Sex Link, and Cinnamon Queen. They are also sold under the labels, Brown Sex Link, Golden Buff, Bovans Brown, Hubbard Golden Comet, Isa Brown, Babcock Brown, Warrens, Hylines, Gold Lines, Lohmans, Lohmans Brown, etc. It can be rather confusing, but they are all Red Sex Links, produced by crossing a red gene rooster (RIR, Prod. Rd, or NHR) with a silver gene hen (WR, RIW, SLW, Delaware, or Light Sussex) and no matter which label they are sold under, they are all egg laying machines.

Back
Top Bottom